• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Advice ?

R

Rasinbran

I’m 20 years old and I was diagnosed with bipolar II a few years ago, I was on medications for it but stopped taking them and stopped attending therapy. I thought I was handling it well but this past week at work was an absolute shit show for me, I work retail and I’m ussualy pretty upbeat and very nice to everyone but last Monday I called out, Friday and daaturday I left four hours early, yesterday I made it through the whole day but my manager had to take me off registers because of my demeanor. I don’t know if I should call a therapist and get back on meds and therapy or if I should just let this hypomanic episode pass

K

keith74

You need to call your therapist and get back on your meds. Every time my wife decided to stop her meds on her own, it didn't end well. When you are stable for a long time, sometimes it is tempting to think that you don't need the meds anymore and see if you can handle it on your own. Again, it usually does not go well. My wife is now convinced that the meds are part of the reason why she has long periods of stability.

2Much2Feel

Agree with Keith. So many times I've taken myself off right when I'm doing well, then crash and for some reason don't believe the crash is related to the meds, but it so often is. It sounds like if you're putting your job in jeopardy at this point, it's def time to call the doctor/see a therapist to talk it out. Venting here is also helpful, and there's good advice from people who get it and don't judge. Fingers crossed for you. (I never handled retail well, btw, it's rough dealing w people...so good for you).

HLon99

HLon99

Don't sweep you mental health under the rug in the hope that it will just 'go away on its own'. Seek professional help and get back on track. You might think you have things under control, but why take a chance and have your entire life be put in jeopardy?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Bipolar seems to have a wonderful predator-in-the-grass type of quality whereby you think it's gone and the moment you let your guard down its claws are in your back. We've all done it. Stay on the meds.

GaryC123

GaryC123

Agree with others, a lot of employers these days will work with bipolar people but only if you are doing your part in good faith to at least try to control the condition. Unfortunately bipolar is a life sentence. It's a sad fact of the matter. Sometimes others think we can just "snap out of it" or something. But that's seldom the case.