• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Advice

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
What would anyone suggest as the best form of treatment for OCD? Therapy, medication, which ones?
m

dontknowwhattodowithoutyou

dontknowwhattodowithoutyou

Hi!
It depends a lot on yourself. I would first start therapy and see if you feel you're happy with the progress you made. This can take a while though. Oh, and I would recommend getting a psychotherapist and not a psychiatrist (in some countries, psychiatrists/doctors can give therapy, but I haven't had the best experiences).
If you feel you might need additional help, medication can help for therapy to work better. But I also managed a lot without medication (SSRIs for instance are recommended). So it usually doesn't make sense to only take meds. For me, meds only make it easier to dismiss thoughts. I still have them though and still find them distressing though. But this can be very personal.

Most recommended: ERP, a part of CBT therapy. Try to get a therapist with lots of experience in OCD. I've had some bad experiences with mental health professionals who only roughly know about it. It basically did me worse...

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
I have had a lot of therapy which ended the beginning of lockdown. I am under PCLS went to IAPT who said they couldn't help, back to PCLS who then got my original therapist to contact me who said i can't continue unless I spend time with something called Reablement team. I really feel feel I am being passed around as no one wants to help. In the meantime my OCD, anxiety, depression are getting worse.
m