Advice with Mirtazapine and Quetiapine

M

momofmanymoods

I had my first appointment with my new psychiatric doctor today. After admitting that I hadn't been taking the lousy Sertraline I was lumbered with for what seems like forever, and explaining that it just didn't work for me, she decided to mix up my meds.
I'm not sure what doses I'll be taking yet, as I've been put forward for a blood test to make sure the gestational diabetes hasn't progressed onto type 2 from my pregnancy (dd2 was born 4 weeks ago).
I have been on Fluoxetine (made me ill), Citalopram (which worked until I self dosed a full strip so couldn't of been doing as much as I thought) and Sertraline (which worked for a few months and I returned to miserable me). I have also tried Abilify/Aripiprozale to combat the "voice" I hear. It worked until I had to stop them, due to pregnancy.
I have extreme mood swings, partially due to the voice I've been hearing for 4 years, and also due to being stuck in this dump I call home.
I have horrific social anxiety which developed into agoraphobia due to an assault I endured 4 years ago this year. Plucking up the courage to go and see my psychiatrist is one of the worst times ever. I can't even sit in the garden without wishing for the ground to swallow me.
I've been hospitalised due to "too many meds" being consumed (purposely) and I've been through phases where self harming is a habit. Like smoking a cigarette. It was natural, it just happened.

I'm so worried about these new meds (I'm worried about everything else so what a surprise).
To start with, the weight gain. I'm 13 stone 9 now after having dd2, 5 foot 8 and really self conscious. I hate what I see in the mirror and break down often about being so saggy, flabby and unhappy generally. I know these two medications make you pile weight on. How do people combat this? How much weight are we talking? Google has frightened me lol. We have all done it.
Also, the sertraline and citalopram always made me feel like rubbish the first few weeks I took them. As it stands ATM, I'm not in a "stable" mind to cope with more bad thoughts. I have been through psychotic episodes and postnatal depression. Honestly, I have postnatal depression right now.
Another thing is the sedativeness of the drugs. Dd1 is 2 in September, and as I mentioned I gave birth to dd2 4 weeks ago. What if they wake up crying and I'm too unconscious to hear them. Lord help me.

I don't understand how tablets can make you "fat and happy". I'm scared of people looking at me, laughing at me, attacking me verbally and physically. Surely the weight gain will get me funny looks. And comments.
I don't go out as it is. Why would I want to go out and be seen as "ten tonne tess" and be happy about it?

I guess I just need someone to *virtually* rub my back and tell me it'll be okay and these meds are great. To hear some good news for once instead of bad news. I feel so crap. I'm so scared. And nobody around me gets it. They're all so happy and occupied with life. I am a hermit with no friends because of this. And I'm gonna be a fat lonely hermit.

Anything will help, any experiences with these medications, anything at all.
I want to be a better person for my baby girls. I want to take them to the park and have fun with them, do things that normal parents do. The sea life centre, safari park, zoo, they are dreams for the future. Everything just seems like a nightmare right now. Please help me.
Sorry for the long post.

:-(

tinyboat

tinyboat

Hey
I don't know about the other brand, but I've been on mirtazapine for about three months now, and at first I freaked out about the weight gain reviews as well, but personally I haven't put on or lost anything yet. Other than that they've worked really well with levelling out my moods. The first month was on a half dosage to test it out, and the dreams i had were absolutely nuts. But! I slept so much better than I had in years. Once the dosage was doubled the dreams went away but the sleep isn't as good, and the first few weeks I was completely zombie-fied, but it's all levelled out.
So there's my review, works the best out of any I've been on :]

M

momofmanymoods

Hey
I don't know about the other brand, but I've been on mirtazapine for about three months now, and at first I freaked out about the weight gain reviews as well, but personally I haven't put on or lost anything yet. Other than that they've worked really well with levelling out my moods. The first month was on a half dosage to test it out, and the dreams i had were absolutely nuts. But! I slept so much better than I had in years. Once the dosage was doubled the dreams went away but the sleep isn't as good, and the first few weeks I was completely zombie-fied, but it's all levelled out.
So there's my review, works the best out of any I've been on :]
Thanks so much for your reply! I'm really glad it's working the best for you, I'm hoping that it will be the same for me. I've read a lot about the crazy dreams and in honesty I'm quite excited to experience them! I have lots of nightmares, never dreams. I hope I don't become zombie-fied and stay that way lol! Thanks again :)

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It will be ok.
I find the "reviews" on medications aren't always accurate, and obviously these kind of medications will effect people differently.

I've been on both tablets, and both at the same time (with several more thrown in for good measure.. I was on a bit of a cocktail).
It does really depend on the dosage, I wasn't on a large dose of either.. but anyway, I didn't find them that bad for weight gain. I made sure I got out and about, went for a walk every day.
I'm sure with your little ones you'll be on your toes, so you'll be burning off calories.

They are both quite sedating though. It gets better with time, but I think the main problem you'll find is being really zonked out for a while. It will get better though as your body gets used to the medication.
I doubt that you'll become a fat hermit.. :hug:
I could be described as that by some, lol. To be honest, i'd rather be like this than the way I am at my worse. x

M

momofmanymoods

It will be ok.
I find the "reviews" on medications aren't always accurate, and obviously these kind of medications will effect people differently.

I've been on both tablets, and both at the same time (with several more thrown in for good measure.. I was on a bit of a cocktail).
It does really depend on the dosage, I wasn't on a large dose of either.. but anyway, I didn't find them that bad for weight gain. I made sure I got out and about, went for a walk every day.
I'm sure with your little ones you'll be on your toes, so you'll be burning off calories.

They are both quite sedating though. It gets better with time, but I think the main problem you'll find is being really zonked out for a while. It will get better though as your body gets used to the medication.
I doubt that you'll become a fat hermit.. :hug:
I could be described as that by some, lol. To be honest, i'd rather be like this than the way I am at my worse. x
Thanks so much for replying :)
I have read so many google links about them both that I think I've just really frightened myself. As I mentioned, I worry about everything else so why not this eh? Lol
Your reply has really gave me some hope. I guess it didn't help that everything I searched involved "weight gain" so of course it would bring up people who are piling the stones on.
Your right, I am always on my toes, I always tell myself there's never enough hours in the day, there's too much to do in too little time. Now I'm thinking about it, maybe there's more I can do around the house to help my calorie burning. The pile I produce to take upstairs when I need the toilet being one of them lol.
Hopefully the zombie feeling won't last for ages, I'm already forever tired, I think I'll be falling asleep at the sink if it tires me anymore. Ha.
Thank you so much again! I highly doubt your a fat hermit either. :hug: and that's what I keep telling myself. Would I rather be plump or suicidal...
Time to start looking for trendy plus size shops I guess.
~ xxx

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm on both of these. I did put on weight on the quetiapine, but a lot of people don't. I think working on losing the baby weight will help you feel a lot better. I think you said you gave birth only 4 weeks ago? Give yourself a chance. But do all the post natal exercises they talk about. Mirtazepine is very sedating as is quetiapine (seroquel) and can also increase weight, but not with everyone at all. But remember, you can always negotiate with your proc how much you are willing to take.

Is the "voice" bad? If you can live with it, you could talk through the dose you are given. My pdoc has an obsession with getting rid of voices immediately come hell or high water, and now I am in discussions to keep me on as low a dose as I need and trying to convince him I can live with one of the voices. The seroquel also has anti depressant and mood stabilising qualities, I'm told.

So both can increase weight, but you can discuss this strongly with your doc. The diabetes is a problem - I'm diabetic, but was already before the meds. But Seroquel (quetiapine) is known to cause diabetes in some people - so make sure you discuss this as a matter of urgency with your doc if you have already had gestational diabetes. Sometimes pdocs only think in terms of psychiatry and not the physical repercussions of these drugs.

Long term, you might like to talk about good therapy instead of meds - just a thought, and only if appropriate.

M

momofmanymoods

I'm on both of these. I did put on weight on the quetiapine, but a lot of people don't. I think working on losing the baby weight will help you feel a lot better. I think you said you gave birth only 4 weeks ago? Give yourself a chance. But do all the post natal exercises they talk about. Mirtazepine is very sedating as is quetiapine (seroquel) and can also increase weight, but not with everyone at all. But remember, you can always negotiate with your proc how much you are willing to take.

Is the "voice" bad? If you can live with it, you could talk through the dose you are given. My pdoc has an obsession with getting rid of voices immediately come hell or high water, and now I am in discussions to keep me on as low a dose as I need and trying to convince him I can live with one of the voices. The seroquel also has anti depressant and mood stabilising qualities, I'm told.

So both can increase weight, but you can discuss this strongly with your doc. The diabetes is a problem - I'm diabetic, but was already before the meds. But Seroquel (quetiapine) is known to cause diabetes in some people - so make sure you discuss this as a matter of urgency with your doc if you have already had gestational diabetes. Sometimes pdocs only think in terms of psychiatry and not the physical repercussions of these drugs.

Long term, you might like to talk about good therapy instead of meds - just a thought, and only if appropriate.
Hi! Thanks for replying.
That is what I'm worried about. I've not had chance to lose any of the baby weight I picked up, and with starting 2 meds who's side effects are weight gain it's just adding to an existing problem which could, ultimately, make me feel worse. I'm hoping I have a bit of luck and avoid the weight gain, but hey I never usually have luck so I'm not banking on it lol.
The voice is dreadful. It's a he. One voice with a lot of power. On good days, he only springs up right before bed- not helpful when any bit of sleep is a blessing with the kids. Not only does he spew verbal abuse at me, about parenting, weight, being a shit person in general, he commands me to do things. Self harming being a big hassle, and also, counting. I'm not sure if that could be a bit of OCD tied in, but it drives me mad. I usually count on my fingers, to 5 repetitively, but however I count, I can't tap a finger next to the last tapped. It has to be different. I can't really explain it well online because it's really odd. I can't simply tap 5 fingers in a row, they have to alternate in pattern. I know every pattern now. Thanks voice. Lol.
That's exactly why I'm having blood tests. As well as the gestational diabetes, I guess having an overweight BMI and type 2 running in the family doesn't add to the hope. Fingers crossed though, that the results come back clear and it's one less problem to think about!
I'm currently waiting for my psychiatrist to arrange for me to restart some kind of speech therapy with a psychologist. My previous psychologist was also pregnant, same gestation as me too, who also had problems with pregnancy. I haven't seen her for months and probably never will. She was so lovely. Sobs!
I will definitely get in touch with her about all of my concerns, probably on Monday morning. My next outpatients isn't until July, and that's basically a review of how I'm finding the meds. So I think a phonecall will have to do for the time being.
All in all, I know our problems most likely differ, but how are you finding these meds, and also how long have you took them for if you don't mind me asking? Do you feel like they're helping you/making a difference in general (other than the weight gain and tiredness)? I'm still a bit edgy because of the previous antid's being useless. The abilify/aripiprazole just put me to sleep faster, so I guess that's why I thought they helped so much. Sleep is a blessing as I said lol! Shrugs.
Hope to hear back from you soon, thanks again :)
~ x