Advice to Help my Partner w/ OCPD

A

AlanaD

My partner of 15years has always liked things done a certain way but we never thought it to be much of a problem. He cleaned, worked hard and was great at budgeting. But about a year ago, we moved. He couldn’t find a job, so I went to work. Him having control over the house and children has sent him into a... I can’t even explain it. We basically can do nothing in the house, as there is a possibility we may damage it. We can’t touch anything because we can’t put them back in the exact same place. He’ll then spend forever checking it’s alignment and making sure it’s perfect. He says he needs my help. Please help me with how I can help him?

P.S I have Bipolar 1 and since we have been together since we were teens, I strongly believe it’s my drastic mood swings that has made this urgent need for control and order because I went unmedicated for such a long time.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi Alana. I hope your pardner will get some specific therapy for the OCD because it is affecting your children. I wouldn't go so far as to blame yourself and you trying to help him on your own isn't enough because you don't have the skill set to do the job or you would have done it already. Therapy is very helpful in OCD.