• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Advice regarding previous employer and asking for job back?!

P

Pffft

Well this is a pretty long winded story as it spans over about 3 years so please bare with me. I used to work at a coffee shop and worked once a day on a saturday (i had this job while i was at school/college (5 years ago) and in the half terms/ summer i would work extra. Anyways 2 years after that (so 3 years ago) i got an apprenticeship and asked if i could just work out of term time (i was working in a school so was working full time) and that was fine. In the mean time my depression and anxiety hit rock bottom and I was signed off work (only came off benefits in summer). I am wanting to get back into working there (again, out of term time) but I haven't spoke to my boss. She is lovely but I never told her anything with regard to the depression and anxiety, i suppose i literally "disappeared". I was grieving at the time which coincidentally triggered the depression and after bumping into an old work colleague (she still works at the coffee shop) I told her everything (i know i can trust her) and she said she knew something wasn't right as i wasn't my self in latter end of me being there.

Now i am stuck with the dilemma? do i ask for my old job back and mention i would love summer work or do i just go and find something else? running the risk of not finding anything. I don't mind telling her about everything but i am worried i will come across as self absorbed. Any advice will be good.

Thanks

R

Rose19602

You know Pfft.....I would ask for your job back.

These people sound sympathetic and lovely and they've employed you before whilst unwell, even if they didn't know.

I would mention the grieving (if you need to explain the depression).... which is totally understandable and tell her that you need to get back on your feet again....which is true isn't it?

It will be easier to work somewhere you know and with people who understand.
Give it a try....they can only say no at the worst...and may say yes!

x

P

Pffft

Thank you, Miss Kitty.
I forgot to mention I started university in September (so i am occupied the majority of the time!) I am just looking to keep myself occupied out of term time as i have noticed that having all this free time is having a negative effect on me as I am not making many plans!
The people at work (including my boss) briefly knew about the grieving as i took a few weeks off work but they didn't know the extent of it.
I just don't know how to ask her. Do i go in or do i phone. i really don't want to make a big thing of it especially since she might not be pleased to see me!
xx

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Didn't realise you'd started Uni in September - hope you're enjoying it so far.

I would ask for your job back.
Also, if I were you, i'd pop in and see her face-to-face.
Order a drink and ask if she can spare 5 minutes to chat, then mention that you are at Uni and would really love to have your old job back.

I know i've just made it sound so simple, haven't I?:rolleyes:

I don't think you'd come across as self-absorbed at all.
Obviously I don't know your ex-boss so I don't know how she could react, but i'm sure she'd be polite either way.

The worst she can say is no, in which case, you look elsewhere.
I don't think you've got anything to lose by asking. x

P

Pffft

lmao, yes you have made it sound so simple! I think your plan sounds good though. I have arranged to meet a friend (she works there still) and I may mention it when we next meet for a catch up. As the times we have met recently has been coincidence, in town etc. I think you are right, there is no harm in asking, it's just hoping i don't get cut off... but i suppose i am presuming the worst!

xx

R

Rose19602

If you're afraid of her response, you could always drop her a short letter or telephone her....but I agree with SS that face to face might be better.

Congrats on starting uni....well done for getting in!
x