• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Advice Please

B

boxedfrog

Hello all. I am new and feel a little bad for joining just to ask a question but here goes.
I'm not entirely sure whats wrong with me as I havent yet asked my psychiatrist and have only recently started to be treated. I have been put on Olanzapine becaus I hear voices. I started on 2.5mg and then was upped to 5mg which I was told was a very low dose. I hear one main person and a confusing whispering from lots of individuals. The 2.5mg helped with the whispering and kind of moved it into the back ground, which I can kind of live with but the main person who talks properly has now started to become extremely aggressive and saying that going to see a doctor was weak and I should commit suicide. I have no intention of doing so and am in control but he is starting to get to me now. I am concerned what will happen if I tell the doctors about this because I dont want to go to hospital. I basically just wanted to ask advice from people with experience. Things are kind of getting a little confusing and I wondered if it could be the medication thats doing it?
Now that I re-read all this it sounds silly. Guess I just wanted to say it out loud really. Or type it even :)

A

Apotheosis

Hello & welcome.

Personally I have found 'alternative' perspectives more helpful.

There is Rufus May's site & the hearing voices network that you may find helpful -

http://www.rufusmay.com/

http://www.hearing-voices.org/

(or Google them)

Or the orthodox route is primarily meds. If you talk of 'symptoms' to the majority of psychiatrists; they will keep upping meds. I suppose 5mg is a low dose; but we are all of different 'make up'. I take a low dose of a med too. 5mg is still a dose that will be having an effect. These are a strong class of drugs.

The ball park for hospital admission is - 'a danger to themselves or others'.

B

boxedfrog

Thanks for your advice Apotheosis, I will look at them sites