• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Advice please...

M

Marigold74

Hi, my sister has been taking medication for many years for schizophrenia. She recently decided she didn't need to take it anymore and is now very paranoid, hearing voices and disappearing in her car for hours on end in the middle of the night.

How can I best help her? I have been in touch with local crisis line when she began disappearing for hours on end in the middle of the night. They cannot help unless she threatens to harm herself or someone else. Have also been in touch with her doctor who has asked my sister to begin taking her meds again but she refuses.

Previously she would accuse people of random things and almost get into big trouble by slandering them online etc. She is now hearing things about me and accusing me of lying, etc. So now that I am seen as an enemy I feel very helpless!

Jolly

Jolly

Welcome. So sad to hear about your sister. The forum will be around shortly to support and advise

L

linus

Gain her trust by offering your help with things she might need, don’t judge her, hug her and just offer support in general and then she might open up and you can find a way to get additional help

M

Marigold74

Thank you. I will most certainly support her but how do I respond to the accusations? Do I agree with her, deny them?? Really appreciate everyone's help.

L

linus

Not agree or disagree, both are wrong options :) instead acknowledge that she is suffering or it must be hard for her to feel this way. This is an emotional battle, that takes the form of reasoning, but it’s a broken one. Instil hope, tell her she will feel better and you’d help her as she feels the need

Z

Zuiese

Gain her trust by offering your help with things she might need, don’t judge her, hug her and just offer support in general and then she might open up and you can find a way to get additional help
Very good advice given, thank you.