• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Advice Please

B

Bluebirdsunset

Hello All,
I need some advice here. Back when my hubby was in his 20’s (before we met) he fell off a balcony and smashed his head. From the injury he had a major manic and then depressive episode. 2 years later he had another after he went off his Carbamanzipine.
He had been symptom free for 20 plus years. Last week something was off - really off. Sleep, mannerisms, anxiety, concentration etc. He realized he was going into a manic state and went to the hospital. He was there for only 2 nights as he tested positive for Covid and could not go to the psych floor. The drs said he is bipolar - how he became that way doesn’t matter.
He feels better than before but he is still in a manic state. He knows he is - that helps. I have his credit cards, we deleted his social media accounts. He gave me all the sharp items as they remind him of death. I got him hooked up at work for a leave etc.
The Hospital added Rispardal? to his meds regimen and sent him home. Now what? How long will the mania last? Does he needs more meds? What else should I/we be doing?

N

NoOne5

:welcome: to the forum sweetheart. It's honorable you take "In sickness and in health" seriously. I am so sorry you are going through this. I am also sorry your husband is suffering with COVID 19. Please keep you and your house hold protected. Also. Please don't worry. The doctors will best be able to care for your husbands mental condition. But do call him as much as you can. I'm sorry to say this but you may have to be in different rooms from your husband when he returns home. Unless you are well protected and he needs you to help him with something. Maybe use walkie talkies when you're in different rooms. It is better if you sleep on the couch until he gets better. Sanitize the home and wash up frequently. Please call your Doctor or maybe even the CDC for more helpful information. I hope your husband pulls through. Please let us know whats going on? Stay safe. :hug:

E

Earl J

Hi hon and welcome to the forum. I’m just wondering if your husband has tested positive for Covid and has been sent home from hospital have you got to try self isolation in your own home or is he over it?

F

Failing Heart

Hello All,
I need some advice here. Back when my hubby was in his 20’s (before we met) he fell off a balcony and smashed his head. From the injury he had a major manic and then depressive episode. 2 years later he had another after he went off his Carbamanzipine.
He had been symptom free for 20 plus years. Last week something was off - really off. Sleep, mannerisms, anxiety, concentration etc. He realized he was going into a manic state and went to the hospital. He was there for only 2 nights as he tested positive for Covid and could not go to the psych floor. The drs said he is bipolar - how he became that way doesn’t matter.
He feels better than before but he is still in a manic state. He knows he is - that helps. I have his credit cards, we deleted his social media accounts. He gave me all the sharp items as they remind him of death. I got him hooked up at work for a leave etc.
The Hospital added Rispardal? to his meds regimen and sent him home. Now what? How long will the mania last? Does he needs more meds? What else should I/we be doing?
I’m so sorry! I’m sure this is all so scary. I think you guys are doing all the right things… Take the credit cards, take the sharp things, keep communicating to each other. This is the tricky thing about mania… It can come and go quickly or it can last for months and months. Be extra careful that he is getting lots of sleep and keeping a regular routine with when he goes to bed and when he wakes up. That goes for eating schedule as well. Daily exercise is also hugely important. I would check in with a doctor every two weeks with any changes or to let them know he hasnt improved/changed. They usually like you to try one set of medications for two weeks before switching them up unless it makes you way worse. Good luck to you! Hang in there!