• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

advice please - taking meds / upset stomach

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive had a dodgy tum for 2 months now and its getting worse, to the fact ive lost 5lbs this week. My SW was round this morning and i mentioned that i cant eat because my stomache is so uncomfortable and im constantly racing off upstairs. It was thought initially that it may be an appedicitis but thats changed now.
The problem being my stomaches empty most of the time as im being sick or the other. Do i keep on taking my tablets on an empty tum or risk stopping taking them. My psych is away and i cant get an appointment at the gps till tues and i dont know whats being absorbed or passed thru:unsure:

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi Daffy,

Sorry to hear about your situation.
I'm not medically qualified to give you professional advice but You could phone NHS Direct on 0845 4647,Im sure they would be able to offer some help.

The instructions on some medicines state that they must be taken 'before food' or 'on an empty stomach'. Most of the medicines that must be taken on an empty stomach do not pass into the bloodstream very well if there is food in the stomach.

I hope you are feeling better very soon,best wishes.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Thanks Yaks. Ive decided if its not on the mend by tomoz then ill try and get an appointment for tuesday, but im sure it will have gone by then.

thanks for asking tho

D

Dollit

Daffy it should say on the patient information leaflet with the medication whether you should take the meds with food or not. If you can't you can search for a medication with PIL beside it. This will also give you the list of side effects - Lithium has a way of emptying my system so I know how debilitating side effects can be. If you ring NHS direct at least you'll get to speak to a qualified nurse. :hug: