• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Advice please,if poss?

S

shyfx003

Hi guys and girls...Sorry if this goes on a bit..
To start off with i drive a truck for a wood waste company..just by pure chance 3 weeks ago i caught the last part of the news whilst getting off the ferry in dover..They were talking about a 22 year old guy who has been diagnosed with Bi-Polar..it was only when they discribed what the symptoms were i thought OMG thats me!!! The whole of that weekend i kept going over and over the same thing which just caused more tension in my house hold...
But it explains why,for the last 20 something years i have been the way i have..The following week (last wk) on the monday i talked with a college who promtly told my boss i could be BP..to say i put my foot in it was an understatement.."need to call the insurance company" was all i got from my boss..My partner managed to get me an appointment for last saturday which couldnt of come sooner!!! By wednesday last week i was going out of my mind..i couldnt sleep at all and when the alarm went off at 530 my head was throbbing so much i was sick..I made the call to my boss at 6am stating i was unwell and needed to go home,to which he replied "take next week off too,but let me know what the docs say" so thinking that he actualy gave a t**s my gf called him..he stated i had let him down last thursday and that my truck was now being piloted by a new guy...so im basicly out of a job!!! I have good weeks and bad..although the bad weeks out way the good with my attitude at work..i can't help myself sometimes..so by seeing my psych in a few weeks will give me a better understanding as to why i have sooo many weeks where i am at rock bottom..your thoughts please!!!

jax

jax

What your boss did was not right. People with mental illnesses are not supposed to be discriminated against. I was just talking to my CPN about it today. If you do discover you're Bipolar and your boss fires you - you will have a good case against him.
Getting a diagnoses of bipolar does not happen with the first appointment. A psychiatrist needs to see you in a mania. Sometimes a psychiatrist will diagnose bipolar without seeing it but by going on what you have said. So don't think you will get a diagnoses right away - it could take time. Good luck with your appointment.
Jax x

T

TOONAFISH

hiya

your boss cant just sack you for no reason!! that is terrible. as for having bp i dont know but as jax said you cant get diagnosed over nite.

see how your apt goes first of all, but i would go back and speak to your boss about your job x:)

S

suzy

oooooh dear your colleage should not have told your boss, this sounds like it has escalated out of hand. You can not be fired for being bipolar, arrange an appointment with your boss for a return to work interview if you have been off more than a week

S

shyfx003

Hi guys..thanks for all your replys...I dont regret saying to my friend/college about some thing i might or might not have..although i would say that im 95% certain...Today i made the call regarding coming back to work next week,all i got from my boss was "it cost me x amount of money last thursday etc etc" the truck has to be worked blah blah blah....He seems to think that i am now a high risk??? er why?? i dont know..if i hadnt said anything where would i be?? still driving a 44 ton truck all over europe me thinks...I know he has done his home work..that if he sacks me i will have his balls game set and match..so now he states that there is another truck coming in march and would i be able to speed up the time it takes in going to see a psychiatrist and get some results..so he is keeping my job open in some form,leaving it up to me to actualy leave..knowing full well i will not be able to claim jack sh*t and he doesnt have to pay out..Im guessing i could get signed of sick due to "stress" but is it actualy worth the hassle..?

W

wrongun73

your situation sounds like mine, i have sort of always known that somethings not quite right but only recently went to the doctors because it caused a relationship breakdown. he has told me to write down a 4 week diary of thoughts, sleep etc. for the past 3 weeks ish ive felt high as a kite, trying to do everything at 100 mph and my mind going even faster, even talking to the stars while driving my lorry like some kind of hippy on a trip but now im right down in the dumps. the weird thing is i could feel it changing over sort of 24-48 hrs. does anyone know what will happen when i go back, what the next step is?

S

shyfx003

Im still waiting in limbo..its like i have the plague where my boss is concerned,yet if i hadn't let it slip out i would still be driving my truck...Until some body confirms that i have a problem of sorts then what is the problem?? ok my moods are up and down all over the place along with my energy levels, yet that alone shouldn't stop me from working..I wish i'd kept my mouth shut in some ways,if your in the process of getting help "wrongun73" don't let it slip out at work esp if you drive for a living..

W

wrongun73

i wish i could help shyfx003, i'm in the same boat waiting and wondering.
i'm back at the quacks on 15 feb, my dads coming with me, (who is bi polar) but i wish i could go now and get to the bottom of it. from reading up on here it seems like a long drawn out process until you finally get some confirmation one way or the other.:confused:

S

shyfx003

It does seem like a drawn out affair for people to get help and i do get very impatient at times but this what has become of the nhs in some ways...
I had to wait 2 weeks just get an appointment at the docs..so while im sat gawping at ebay day in day out, im going to find a kennels near me and do some dog walking..got to be better than just sitting indoors a thinking about what if when and why..?http://www.1in4-forum.org/forum/images/smilies/unsure.gif