[Advice please] I have no control over my eating, and it's making me suicidal.

bluekii

bluekii

[Advice please] I have no control over my eating, and it's making me suicidal.

Hello everyone,

My first official thread, woohoo. :peace:

So, I went to the mental health unit and saw my psychological doctor the other day and tried to bring up my problem with eating. He dismissed it completely and went on to talk about my medication and how if I continue to take this everything should smooth out.

I kind of understand where he is coming from, but my eating is honestly spiralling out of control and I don't know how the fuck to control it! I'll compulsively eat, emotionally eat and just eat if I'm bored. I need a hobby or something, but can anyone give any tips for cutting high sugar foods and junk food out of my diet, I feel like I am addicted and it's a never ending cycle of guilt, depression and regret, because the more I eat the more I gain weight and the worse I feel about myself and life in general.

It just upsets me because those who are mentally suffering from an ED but aren't physically ED obvious are often ignored or looked past. An eating disorder isn't a weight, that's just a symptom!

Thank you all so much to those who respond.

Last edited:
T

Thatone

I've been where you are, but there are people who can help. If you look for a therapist who will work with eating disorders, that was the biggest step I took in my recovery. People who are trained and know about eating disorders won't look at just your weight and will help you work through the internal stuff. Also, if you are restricting in any way, that is more important to address because often people get caught in a binge-restrict cycle. If not, a meal plan or intuitive eating may help.
Best of luck!

W

wheezey

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry you are struggling with food. I have a binge eating disorder so I understand the constant need to eat. I could not have got a hold of my binging without seeing a therapist at an eating disorder clinic. I am sad your doctor does not seem to understand how important it is that you have support for your eating. Is it possible to ask to go to an eating disorder clinic?

bluekii

bluekii

Thank you both for replying.

I want to go to a clinic but my doctor seems to think the medication and stabilising my mood is more important than my issue with food at the moment.
I'm going to trust what he says and see if everything does eventually clear up.

I will try to create a meal plan. My organisation is horrific.

P

Perseida

It just upsets me because those who are mentally suffering from an ED but aren't physically ED obvious are often ignored or looked past. An eating disorder isn't a weight, that's just a symptom!

Thank you all so much to those who respond.
If you aren't overweight or morbidly obese, your 'eating disorder' can't be that bad, since your calorie intake is below your calorie expense. Especially with unhealthy foods it would be visible rather quickly.

What helped me is to write a note on my phone with all the reasons why I shouldn't go to McDonalds and stuff my face with expensive foods. It could also be useful to simply not store junk food at home, which makes it harder for you to eat unhealthy foods while being bored.

Make a list with alternatives to stress eating; especially doing sports. It's scientifically proven to reduce the stress level.

In the end it's important to learn self discipline. That's a huge factor for most people who are overweight or tend to overeat.

A

agse01

I'm sorry that your doctor overlooked what was really going on and went directly to the pushing meds route! Unfortunately, so many doctors do that now days instead of spending time with the patient and getting to the bottom of what is going on. You are right when you say it is so much more then food/weight. Food is what we use to calm the chaos in our lives per se. It's what we go to for comfort! But it's also an illness and needs to be treated as such!
High sugar foods/carbs have been the worst for me as well. Sugar is highly addictive and that's been proven. What has helped me the most, is just keeping the junk food and sugar out of the house so I don't have access to it when I feel the need to binge. Stock the house with healthy food. Lots of fruits and veggies. When I see that those are the only thing in the house I am more likely to evaluate what I am feeling in those moments instead of just shoving food in my mouth. Because quite honestly, it's not as "fun" to binge on fruits and veggies!
You may want to also consider seeing another psychologist who will take you more seriously. You will need counseling and a good support system to recover from this, but recovery is possible! Wishing you the best!

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
There are some good books on ED, I like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming...8&qid=1529096637&sr=8-3&keywords=binge+eating

I would say for cutting out foods, don't have them in the house, but that depends if you live alone or not, then I usually buy myself treats when I am out, like a slice of cake when I am out for coffee etc or in single servings for at home as I don't think it is healthy to cut them out completely.

Maybe your doc thinks you eat to help cope with your mood and when you get that sorted your eating will improve naturally.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Eating Disorders Forum 3