Advice on supporting adult married child being treated for bipolar-like symptoms

C

Concernedmom21

Advice on supporting adult married child being treated for bipolar-like symptoms

Our married son is being treated for bipolar-like/anxiety symptoms for the past year. We offered to help financially as he quit his job to seek treatment. A year later, we are feeling great concern about how to continue supporting our son and his wife financially. Not only is it a great cost issue for us but we are feeling pressure from family and others that we are possibly keeping our son from healing himself with our "safety net"? We would appreciate any advice on how to navigate this unknown path.

katya

katya

That sounds like such a tough situation. I'm so sorry. I assume because your username includes the word "mom" that you're American? There isn't much of a government-provided safety net for this kind of thing, is there? I'm not sure what to suggest in that respect, but it's clear you can't go on supporting your household and your son's household. Is your son's wife not able to work? I would speak to her privately about her getting a job to support your son, if she is able to work.

C

Concernedmom21

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Yes, my son's wife is working but it's not enough to support their household. That's why we feel so obligated to help. It's hard to believe there isn't a support in place for people going through an issue like this that truly need help. What do people do that do not have parents who are able to help? Very frustrating and difficult situation, for sure.