• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

advice on schyzoaffective disorder

P

patti

Dear All,

I am the main carer for my husband who was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder nine years ago. Today I have attended a ward round meeting as he is currently in hospital under a section and the doctor has changed the diagnosis to Schizoaffective disorder.

They didn't really go into the diagnosis to much apart from that they think that he has been suffering from mood swings and some of the common Bipolar symptoms however, he is also suffering from psychotic behaviour as he is extremely paranoid and suffers from delusional thoughts.

I eventually went onto the internet to find out what this diagnosis actually meant however, I am still unsure what the illness actually entails.

Can anybody give advice on their experience with regards to this illness?

Thanks very much:)

Patti

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi :)

It's not a diagnosis that one comes across very often. I'm wondering why it was changed? Bi-polar disorder can have psychotic symptoms (which may include paranoia, and delusional thinking) as well.

P

patti

Ms P: Thanks for reply

Hi Ms P,

In the last nine years my husband has been hospitalized three times with more or less the same symptoms however, this time it has been clear that after some of his actions and sometimes these have been violent he seems to forget he has done them and has no recollection of them. This would suggest that while a memory is filtered through the brain it is distorted.

While this might also be a symptom of bipolar or schizophrenia. This is really the reason that I wanted the advice.

It seems to be very confusing and I am unsure what to make of this diagnosis.

Thanks very much for replying. I was nearly afraid nobody was going to respond!

Thanks again
Patti

PS. Originally from NL (I saw your location is Benelux):flowers:

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi Patti,
I'm also in NL. :flowers:
Your husband's memory loss reminds me of dissociative symptoms. They can accompany many mental health disorders.
I can not diagnose anyone. No one here can do that.
I would hope you get to the bottom of this all with some diligence to get the proper diagnosis. It may be a mere term, but only with the proper dx comes the proper treatment.

You being a carer of someone with mental health issues, I do hope you're looking after yourself with as much effort. :)