• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Advice on meds?

E

Emziins

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm really happy I found this place

I'm 21 and have a 2 year old son and a fiancé in full-time uni and who works from home at night. I'm having a lot of trouble with my bi-polar at the moment and it's kinda like everything is falling on top of me. I'm currently not on any medication which I know isn't good.

The last time I went to my GP to get help it took me 2 weeks to get an appointment and I ended up seeing a doctor I'd never met before which made me slightly uncomfortable. I explained that I had been diagnosed with Bi-polar with a was 13 ect and she ended up giving me fluoxetine. I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone but whilst on it I felt I was more manic than usual WAY more manic. My fiancé noticed and was very worried about it.

I came off it about 4 months ago but I'm finding my lows to be very hard and not good for my family and home. I'm finding it hard to get off the sofa/out of bed and have zero energy during the day and very restless at night. I've caused my fiancé too loose out on a lot of uni and work because he needs to look after my son.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on medication? I've heard of mood stabilizers ect but don't know anything about them and my GP refused to give me anything to help me sleep because I have a toddler. I'm finding myself drinking more than I should to help me sleep which I know isn't helping.

Sorry i've wrote so much but I'm really not sure what to do.

Hope you can help

Emily xo

A

AussieGirl

Hiya

Hey hun

I'm around your age so kinda know how you feel. I was completely misdiagnosed with ADHD and OCD as a child instead of bipolar, and it was only a few months ago that they got the diagnosis right.

I've had the same experience with the antidepressants ( I do still take citalopram) pushing me into a manic state, anything higher than 20mg a day sets me rocketing up there. From what my psychiatrist has told me, this is quite common.

I started taking seroquel (300mg per day) but the doctor has decided this is not strong enough so am just starting epilim chrono (which is also used for epilepsy) and is a 'stronger' drug than seroquel.

Try not to push what diagnosis you think it should be on your doctor, because there are a couple of other mental health issues (like BPD) that can have some of the same effects.

Best of luck. I'm sure it'll all work out - it's a long process but you are lucky to have someone who cares about you like your fiancee, it does really help, my partner has been an angel

Take care

CJ

xxxx

:flowers:

S

skyblue

Hey everyone,

I'm 21 and have a 2 year old son and a fiancé in full-time uni and who works from home at night. I'm having a lot of trouble with my bi-polar at the moment and it's kinda like everything is falling on top of me. I'm currently not on any medication which I know isn't good.

The last time I went to my GP to get help it took me 2 weeks to get an appointment and I ended up seeing a doctor I'd never met before which made me slightly uncomfortable. I explained that I had been diagnosed with Bi-polar with a was 13 ect and she ended up giving me fluoxetine. I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone but whilst on it I felt I was more manic than usual WAY more manic. My fiancé noticed and was very worried about it.

I came off it about 4 months ago but I'm finding my lows to be very hard and not good for my family and home. I'm finding it hard to get off the sofa/out of bed and have zero energy during the day and very restless at night. I've caused my fiancé too loose out on a lot of uni and work because he needs to look after my son.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on medication? I've heard of mood stabilizers ect but don't know anything about them and my GP refused to give me anything to help me sleep because I have a toddler. I'm finding myself drinking more than I should to help me sleep which I know isn't helping.

Hope you can help

Emily xo

I'd suggest making another appointment with your GP and ask he/she to refer you to a Psychiatrist. Initially, only a Psychiatrist can prescribe you mood stabilisers and anti-psychotics, they then pass this information onto your GP.

I can't understand why your GP will not prescribe you any sleeping pills as you so need them right now, and it will only be for short term use until you're able to see a Psychiatrist. Have you explained to your GP your use of alcohol to help you sleep ?
I can understand sleeping meds can become an addiction, but for short term use I can't see any problem with that. Though, I must say my GP is always reluctant to prescribe me them. It just depends on their views.

Hope you're able to sort out a referral soon and I wish you better. :flowers:

jax

jax

Agree with sky - get an appointment with a psychiatrist and you will get a proper assessment and treatment.
Jacqui

E

Emziins

Thanks for your replys :hug:

I was also misdiagnosed through out my childhood it wasn't until I was 13 and had to be taken out of full time education that a childhood Psychiatrist diagnosed me with being bi-polar, it took a year on the waiting list for a adolescent Psychiatrist so my GP prescribed me with prozac and amitriptyline to help me sleep. By the time I got to see a Psychiatrist I went completely off the rails and just suffered with being bi-polar by self medicating with alcohol and self harming, I fobbed everyone off and refused help.

I started to calm down when I found out I was pregnant and was pretty ok all through my pregnancy and when my son was born and was great for a year after that. I'm currently on a waiting list for an adult Psychiatrist and have been told it could be a while. There just aren't enough resources in Northern Ireland.

As for the sleeping meds she thought they would effect my ability to look after my son during the night, Even tho I have a partner who deals with him if he gets up during the night and in the mornings anyway. I'm terrified to tell her about me drinking at night (tho it isn't very excessive thankfully my partner would not put up with that) because it kinda shocked me when she brought up looking after my son. I froze up after that and just needed to leave as quick as possible.

I do hold back sometimes because I terrified she will think i'm a bad mother or that my son is in some sort of danger (which he really isn't, he and my partner are the one thing keeping me going) I think a lot of parents that are bi-polar are afraid of this stigma and I know i'm not getting the proper help I need it's stupid but it's still there. I'm just really unsure what to do. :unsure::(

S

skyblue

Thanks for your replys :hug:

I was also misdiagnosed through out my childhood it wasn't until I was 13 and had to be taken out of full time education that a childhood Psychiatrist diagnosed me with being bi-polar, it took a year on the waiting list for a adolescent Psychiatrist so my GP prescribed me with prozac and amitriptyline to help me sleep. By the time I got to see a Psychiatrist I went completely off the rails and just suffered with being bi-polar by self medicating with alcohol and self harming, I fobbed everyone off and refused help.

I started to calm down when I found out I was pregnant and was pretty ok all through my pregnancy and when my son was born and was great for a year after that. I'm currently on a waiting list for an adult Psychiatrist and have been told it could be a while. There just aren't enough resources in Northern Ireland.

As for the sleeping meds she thought they would effect my ability to look after my son during the night, Even tho I have a partner who deals with him if he gets up during the night and in the mornings anyway. I'm terrified to tell her about me drinking at night (tho it isn't very excessive thankfully my partner would not put up with that) because it kinda shocked me when she brought up looking after my son. I froze up after that and just needed to leave as quick as possible.

I do hold back sometimes because I terrified she will think i'm a bad mother or that my son is in some sort of danger (which he really isn't, he and my partner are the one thing keeping me going) I think a lot of parents that are bi-polar are afraid of this stigma and I know i'm not getting the proper help I need it's stupid but it's still there. I'm just really unsure what to do. :unsure::(
Try not to be afraid about your drinking habit. I have two children and when they were both young 3yrs and 6yrs, I needed hospitalisation for detox for alcohol abuse and help with a severe breakdown, I had to stay in hospital for 4 months. Not one doctor or Psychiatrist thought I was a bad mother, they knew it was just my way of coping at the time and they gave me all the help I needed. When I was prescribed the right medication, I no longer needed to self medicate and so I kicked the habit.
Doc's, nurses, even social services needed to review my case because I was so ill, they could all see I was a good mother to my children and that they always came first.
Your doc will understand you and give you as much support as you need.

Just because you have Bipolar does NOT mean you're a bad mother, we are just as good as any other parent, so please don't put yourself down for that.

Talk to your doctor she/he WILL understand, I promise you.
xx

johnfloyd6675

johnfloyd6675

If somebody walks in and says "I'm bipolar," the doctor's response should not be "here's some Prozac." If it's the case that you're bipolar, the antidepressant effect of the fluoxetine will make you hypomanic; excited, elated, bursting with energy, eager to accomplish things. Unforunately it's just a hair's breadth from full-on ion-channels firing mania and so you shouldn't be on an SSRI like Prozac as your first bipolar treatment.

Could you describe what you need help with, in terms of mental health? What are your problems, and how do you want to solve them?

JF

M

maudikie

maudikie.

The medications are only on prescription so it will have to be through your G.P.
Ask for an urgent appointment, and also ask if you can see a psychiatrist again, as if you were diagnosed at 13 your body has changed since then. I would advise that you have a full medical examination, but these days you don't get much unless you ask for it.
In the meantime don't despair. there is help about, and there are a lot of new medications on the market which don't have such bad side-effects as the old ones.
Take care, and all best wishes.:)

N

NightShade

When I visited a GP who first suspected bipolar, the first thing done was to actually take me off an SSRI. I was hypomanic at that stage, and 100mg of Sertraline was one of the GP's main concerns.

Since then, I've been taken off Sertraline completely. My doctor prescribed me something called Olanzapine and it's kind of worked for me for the time being. I'm getting more sleep, I'm eating a little more and feel a little better. While not hypomanic, I'm not quite at the "normal" level I'd like to be. It's been mentioned that it may be combined with Lithium to try and stop completely the shifts in mood I have.

Hopefully some of what I've said will help you.

johnfloyd6675

johnfloyd6675

When I visited a GP who first suspected bipolar, the first thing done was to actually take me off an SSRI. I was hypomanic at that stage, and 100mg of Sertraline was one of the GP's main concerns.Since then, I've been taken off Sertraline completely.
That's good, that's the smart thing for that doctor to do.

My doctor prescribed me something called Olanzapine and it's kind of worked for me for the time being. I'm getting more sleep, I'm eating a little more and feel a little better. While not hypomanic, I'm not quite at the "normal" level I'd like to be. It's been mentioned that it may be combined with Lithium to try and stop completely the shifts in mood I have.
Olanzapine's a fine drug but again, you've got bipolar disorder, the treatment is supposed to be mood stabilizers, and not antipsychotics! Zyprexa is the flagship atypical antipsychotic. They all make you gain mad weight and fog up your cognition. Talk to your doctor about lithium. It's a miracle drug for manic depression. Some people can't take it, but it's the best mood stabilizer on Earth. You wouldn't need that Zyprexa, you'd probably take Lamictal or even Zoloft, so long as you're on the lithium.

N

NightShade

Olanzapine's a fine drug but again, you've got bipolar disorder, the treatment is supposed to be mood stabilizers, and not antipsychotics! Zyprexa is the flagship atypical antipsychotic. They all make you gain mad weight and fog up your cognition. Talk to your doctor about lithium. It's a miracle drug for manic depression. Some people can't take it, but it's the best mood stabilizer on Earth. You wouldn't need that Zyprexa, you'd probably take Lamictal or even Zoloft, so long as you're on the lithium.
Thank you for the advice - Lithium has been mentioned as the long term treatment as well as something valporate (sp?).

The Zyprexa is making me gain weight right now - I'm having cravings for food I usually avoid after a certain time (sweet/ sugary foods mainly) but it has slowed down my thoughts a little (almost... I'm still typing furiously on the keyboard - thanks spellchecker for making my posts readable!) and I'm not having the psychotic/ risky thoughts I was having.

johnfloyd6675

johnfloyd6675

Thank you for the advice - Lithium has been mentioned as the long term treatment as well as something valporate (sp?).
Yeah, semisodium valproate. It's the alternative to lithium. It doesn't treat depression. But it puts a cap on mania real quick like. They might have you on an antidepressant if they put you on valproate (Depakote). Depakote isn't as long-term an option because it does nothing for depression. Lithium-Lamictal is a great bipolar I cocktail that I'm on now.

You should definitely talk to your doctor about getting your meds straightened out, getting you on a real mood stabilizer. And see if lithium helps you, because it really can be a wonder drug.

The Zyprexa is making me gain weight right now - I'm having cravings for food I usually avoid after a certain time (sweet/ sugary foods mainly) but it has slowed down my thoughts a little
Johnfloyd6675 said:
Antipsychotics all make you gain mad weight and fog up your cognition

and I'm not having the psychotic/ risky thoughts I was having.
That's one thing Olanzapine, and all the antipsychotics, do well. They get you down off your spaceship.

A

Affective

Hey everyone,

Hope you can help

Emily xo
Have you been diagnosed with a specific Bipolar type? I am not a mental health professional but I don't think it was a good idea to give you an antidepressant with an antipsychotic or moodstabilizer to stop you going Manic. Have you suggested a possible Moodstabilizer to your Psych?

If you don't know much as MS's, they're mostly used for the treatment of Epilepsy but can work as well as the 'classic MS', Lithium Carbonate/Oratate. I used to be on Cabagen (Carbamazepine) for my mood and it helped quite a lot and I was on an antidepressant, and with the two working together I was able to live like a 'normal' person.

Carbamazepine, Valproic Acid and Oxcarbagen are mostly used for targeting Mania. With Lamictal and Lithium can help with both Bipolar depression and Mania. Many atypical antipsychotics such as Olanzapine, Seroquel, Abilify and a few others can have mood stabilizing effects too.

Last edited:
R

raverminx

Antidepressants made me very manic too, I ended up in hospital because of them. I'm now on lamotrigine a mood stabilizer and it really works for me, no side effects at all, even lost 1 stone!!