Advice on helping family member suffering

K

KateM

Hi all

My mother in law has been suffering for the last 2 years.
Night times are the worst, they are hardly sleeping and she’s tormented.
Our biggest problem is that she can’t accept that they are voices and not the neighbors (who she has never seen) constantly monitoring her, telling her they’ve got a gun etc.
She won’t go to a doctor, won’t let a case worker in the house, we’ve tried.
We are desperate, she is a scared elderly lady who thinks her family doesn’t believe her.
After reading some of the threads here it seems apparent there is no quick fix.
Does anyone have any advice?

W

wolram

The hardest thing is to convince her that the voices are in her head, for years I thought that voices were coming from outside my cottage, my family came over and stood outside while the voices were loud in my head, it was only after they repeatedly told me that there was no one outside that I considered the voices were in my head.
Have you tried ringing the Samaritans and letting them talk to her?if she will not go to a phyc.

All the best Wollie.

K

KateM

The hardest thing is to convince her that the voices are in her head, for years I thought that voices were coming from outside my cottage, my family came over and stood outside while the voices were loud in my head, it was only after they repeatedly told me that there was no one outside that I considered the voices were in my head.
Have you tried ringing the Samaritans and letting them talk to her?if she will not go to a phyc.

All the best Wollie.
Thanks Wollie, Samaritans is a great idea :)

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Is she religious? She might listen to the clergy like a priest or minister from her church.