Advice on getting life back

G

George10111

George is going to admit something he is not proud of. 25 year old male here, been abusing drugs and alcohol for a few years. Let me first tell a small story. I'll try to be brief. I smoked cigarettes, weed, and drank when I was 13-14 years old, sort of casually. My first time getting high as a fourteen yr old was absolutely insane and I lost my shit, but that's for another time.

I quit before I turned fifteen. I joined cross country and track in high school. I ran the one mile in track and 5k. I still love to run, but I'm not really any good. Fast forward to age 21, October 2014. I'd been hanging out with the wrong group for awhile. People warned me, don't hang out with the wrong group. You become who you spend your time with. I thought, there's no way in hell I'll ever smoke again, not a chance in the world. Then I started getting curious about what'd be like to smoke cigarettes and get high again. It took months for me to give in. So October 2014 I decided to try smoking again. Started with cigarettes, then beer, then the next day I decided to try smoking pot again for the first time in 7 years. Oh my shit, it was an insane experience. I was so baked I kind of hated it to be honest. I felt sick to my stomach and my mind was in a completely different world. I higher then I ever imagined I could and I only took like 3-5 hits. That's a story I could elaborate on another time. Told myself I'd only do this stuff for another day or two then I'd quit and be done for good. Relapsing after 7 years was a tragedy.

Fast forward 3 years. Drinking a lot of alcohol. Getting madly hammered every night. Hopefully this isn't too much info but I got so drunk last night it damaged my coordination and I was stumbling everywhere. It was scary. I want to quit badly but I feel like its so out of reach. I'm worried I'll get sick from withdrawals but I miss having a clear head and conscious. Last year I managed to quit for like 2 weeks then started again. It hasn't been consistent. I've quit for months at a time since starting again in 2014, but its been like a year since I've made an attempt. When I start drinking I lose impulse control and drink myself sick, or until I'm cross eyed. I'm hoping to quit right around the upcoming holiday. Committing myself in advance overwhelmed me so I kind of have to lie to myself a little.

F

Forevertrying

George is going to admit something he is not proud of. 25 year old male here, been abusing drugs and alcohol for a few years. Let me first tell a small story. I'll try to be brief. I smoked cigarettes, weed, and drank when I was 13-14 years old, sort of casually. My first time getting high as a fourteen yr old was absolutely insane and I lost my shit, but that's for another time.

I quit before I turned fifteen. I joined cross country and track in high school. I ran the one mile in track and 5k. I still love to run, but I'm not really any good. Fast forward to age 21, October 2014. I'd been hanging out with the wrong group for awhile. People warned me, don't hang out with the wrong group. You become who you spend your time with. I thought, there's no way in hell I'll ever smoke again, not a chance in the world. Then I started getting curious about what'd be like to smoke cigarettes and get high again. It took months for me to give in. So October 2014 I decided to try smoking again. Started with cigarettes, then beer, then the next day I decided to try smoking pot again for the first time in 7 years. Oh my shit, it was an insane experience. I was so baked I kind of hated it to be honest. I felt sick to my stomach and my mind was in a completely different world. I higher then I ever imagined I could and I only took like 3-5 hits. That's a story I could elaborate on another time. Told myself I'd only do this stuff for another day or two then I'd quit and be done for good. Relapsing after 7 years was a tragedy.

Fast forward 3 years. Drinking a lot of alcohol. Getting madly hammered every night. Hopefully this isn't too much info but I got so drunk last night it damaged my coordination and I was stumbling everywhere. It was scary. I want to quit badly but I feel like its so out of reach. I'm worried I'll get sick from withdrawals but I miss having a clear head and conscious. Last year I managed to quit for like 2 weeks then started again. It hasn't been consistent. I've quit for months at a time since starting again in 2014, but its been like a year since I've made an attempt. When I start drinking I lose impulse control and drink myself sick, or until I'm cross eyed. I'm hoping to quit right around the upcoming holiday. Committing myself in advance overwhelmed me so I kind of have to lie to myself a little.
You are so strong to speak out about your struggles and your not alone. I do know of people who go to there doctor to get something that helps quiting be more easier.

What do you drink?

D

douglas1968

Total life change

George, I think what you need to understand is it is not just a matter of going cold turkey and trying to "fix"your self. Your 25 years old and that my friend is young and you have many good years ahead. But you have to make a total life change and you cannot do it on your own, many have tried and many have failed. Find yourself a good detox/rehabilitation center where they will help you with withdrawals and begin to reteach you how to live life without substances. It is my friend a total life but it is well worth it and you will be so much better and happier if you take this step. I do wish you all the best, I've been there so I know what you're going through.

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
Please find a support group! You are such a bright, young, good guy...you don't want to wake up some morning 20 years from now doing the same thing..and that is what happens far too much of the time. There are also online support groups to supplement face to face.