• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Advice on family drama

A

Another Maniac

So, I haven't really been compliant with my medication for over 6 months now. I usually take my morning tablets but I rarely take my night meds. Mostly because they make me feel really nauseous for about 30 mins after I've taken them. I've stopped taking my antipsychotic completely because it made me so drowsy the day after that it was just not practical, especially when driving around.

Anyway, I still live with my family and they all try to encourage me to take my medications regularly. Of course they get frustrated when I'm not taking my medication properly, but I figure it's my health, my choice. My sister in particular gets pretty frustrated to the point where she gets really angry with me. A couple months ago, she injured me while shaking me that I had injuries that scarred for a long time. She apologised and we moved on. But earlier this week, we were fighting about my medications again and she tried to harm me three times. She apologised just a few hours ago but said she didnt think we could be sisters if we kept fighting over my medication, so it was up to me whether my not taking my meds was more important than having siblings.

In all honesty, I'm not ready to forgive her despite her apology. I understand she was upset but that's never an excuse for violence. It's hard to forgive, especially when I still have bruises and injuries that hurt.

Despite not taking my meds, I haven't noticed any worrying symptoms and I've been living my life just fine. I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist about changing my meds and I'm not looking to stay on them long term either. I would ideally like to not be taking any medication in two years.

Anyway, I wanted advice on what to do with my sibling situation. I feel like I'm pretty set on just keeping my distance from her because I just find physical violence unacceptable. We had a childhood full of domestic abuse, so I'd expect that she would know that violence was never okay since we were witness to and on the receiving end from such a young age.

Thoughts?

(Also Merry Christmas to anyone who celebrates ✌)

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
  • Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi there and a happy holidays to you too. I can understand the desire to go off meds when there are unpleasant side effects. Usually people talk this over with their doctor and together find a good alternative or come off the meds by tapering. It’s always important to partner with your doctor as much as possible when it comes to
med management because many meds are powerful snd there can be negative effects from coming off of them without tapering under medical
supervisión. Whenever possible if there are symptoms the meds are treating the treating doctor will also likely want to try something different with fewer side effects that they can give you a prescription for during this time. In general when a doctor prescribes a patient a med it is the doctors responsibility to manage the med, not anyone else’s, so it is best to allow the doctors to fulfill this responsibility to you as a patient by taking the greatest role in managing your meds.
As soon as possible I would share with your doctor that you have gone off your meds snd why. I would mention the side effects and tell thrm
about your goal to be off meds in two years. They should be able to work with you on that goal. As for your sister her violent behavior is unnecessary and also unlawful. It is possible that she feeld
passionately about the need for you to take
your meds but really that is between you and your doctor. If she would like to make her opinion known then she is certainly welcome to but you don’t have to listen to her. I would tell her that you appreciate your concern but that your meds sre
a topic between you snd your doctor snd
that you do not welcome her input. I would slso
tell her that violence is unacceptable and that if she acts out towards you in the fiture
that you will call the police snd have her charged with assault, period. It is important that you not let her bully you just as a person. Violence under any circumstance is not acceptable and it is definitely not an acceptable way to show someone that you care. Anyway, I hope that this is helpful. Please seek medical attention for the sounds that your sister has inflicted on you if you do not heal soon. Hope you and your family will
enjoy a very Happy Holiday. xo, j

K

keith74

So, I haven't really been compliant with my medication for over 6 months now. I usually take my morning tablets but I rarely take my night meds. Mostly because they make me feel really nauseous for about 30 mins after I've taken them. I've stopped taking my antipsychotic completely because it made me so drowsy the day after that it was just not practical, especially when driving around.

Anyway, I still live with my family and they all try to encourage me to take my medications regularly. Of course they get frustrated when I'm not taking my medication properly, but I figure it's my health, my choice. My sister in particular gets pretty frustrated to the point where she gets really angry with me. A couple months ago, she injured me while shaking me that I had injuries that scarred for a long time. She apologised and we moved on. But earlier this week, we were fighting about my medications again and she tried to harm me three times. She apologised just a few hours ago but said she didnt think we could be sisters if we kept fighting over my medication, so it was up to me whether my not taking my meds was more important than having siblings.

In all honesty, I'm not ready to forgive her despite her apology. I understand she was upset but that's never an excuse for violence. It's hard to forgive, especially when I still have bruises and injuries that hurt.

Despite not taking my meds, I haven't noticed any worrying symptoms and I've been living my life just fine. I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist about changing my meds and I'm not looking to stay on them long term either. I would ideally like to not be taking any medication in two years.

Anyway, I wanted advice on what to do with my sibling situation. I feel like I'm pretty set on just keeping my distance from her because I just find physical violence unacceptable. We had a childhood full of domestic abuse, so I'd expect that she would know that violence was never okay since we were witness to and on the receiving end from such a young age.

Thoughts?

(Also Merry Christmas to anyone who celebrates ✌)
Agreed, that kind of violence is inexcusable - regardless of the circumstances. It is totally within your right to avoid her and not accept her apology for now. But note that growing up in an environment with domestic abuse can often "normalize" it to some, so that the cycle is repeated when the children grow up, even if it is known to be wrong. This is the situation with my wife and her family to a degree. Her sister has sadly started to repeat the same behavior she observed/experienced as a child (especially during times of high stress), even though she knows it is wrong. She has finally started regular therapy to address this. Maybe your sister could use some also.

My feelings about the meds however.... I am a proponent of taking medication (if it helps and the side effects are at least tolerable). While it is indeed "your health, your choice", you also mentioned that you still live with your family. Hence they are impacted by all of this also and should have a say in your treatment. I know firsthand how frustrating it can be as my wife has gone through phases where she decides to stop medication on her own. I feel that decisions regarding her treatment (including medication) is something we have to do jointly since when she has an episode, I am directly impacted by it. We have gotten therapy together, and have also spoken to other doctors who agree with this point - that it is important for our relationship that she considers my feelings when making treatment decisions. While he ultimate decision is yours, please do not completely disregard the feelings of your family, especially if you still live with them and they help support you.