• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Advice on bullying as trauma please.

• Thread starter Deleted member 82450
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 82450

Hi all.

A quick question that may help me begin to find a way of dealimg with beimg me.

Is childhood bullying a trauma? I mean name calling, exclusion and mild, infrequent physical bullying?

The reason I ask is that it seems such an accepted thing and I have assumed that it is entirely normal. I was bullied on and off for 5 years in secondary school and nearly 25 years on am now thinking it may well have defined who I am today.

Any thoughts are very welcome. I assume it isnt in fact trauma in the traditional sense but it must have a lasted impact surely.

Fireflies201

Fireflies201

I’m sorry to hear that you may be dealing trauma and the effects of bullying.

I think trauma is any event that causes lasting emotional distress. If you’re experiencing an almost constant, pervasive distress from your childhood bullying experience, I think you’d be right to classify it as trauma. I think the thing with trauma is that it shapes you and changes you.

Unfortunately, I think our society has become desensitized to violence and aggression so even acts of bullying done by children can seem normal. I don’t think it’s normal for humans to hurt other humans, but in the case of children, there might be some external influence to that behaviour and why they might act out.

D

Daringdan

Hi Thiswaythatway,
It's rough that you had to go through that, sorry about that.
For me dealing with harsh interactions early on lead me to isolate and to feel uncomfortable with socializing. I do think bullying is a form of trauma because of the lingering effects. We just have to play the hand we've been dealt the best we can.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I think it can definitely be trauma. I was bullied so badly in school and I still find myself sucking up to people in life hoping they won’t bully me.

D

Deleted member 92692

The young brain learns and adapts as it grows. Any negative stimuli will affect a young brain. It's a crying shame that we understand that and still can protect kids growing up

D

Deleted member 92692

I think it can definitely be trauma. I was bullied so badly in school and I still find myself sucking up to people in life hoping they won’t bully me.
Hey dont bow down to anyone jam.

consciousnessdetective

consciousnessdetective

I totally get this <3

consciousnessdetective

consciousnessdetective

Hi all.

A quick question that may help me begin to find a way of dealimg with beimg me.

Is childhood bullying a trauma? I mean name calling, exclusion and mild, infrequent physical bullying?

The reason I ask is that it seems such an accepted thing and I have assumed that it is entirely normal. I was bullied on and off for 5 years in secondary school and nearly 25 years on am now thinking it may well have defined who I am today.

Any thoughts are very welcome. I assume it isnt in fact trauma in the traditional sense but it must have a lasted impact surely.
It definitely causes ripples throughout a whole life. Whether that person rebels or is hurt by in the long run. Also mental illness can be a repetition of trauma that has already happened to you, the brain can try to repeat that process if trauma is unresolved. "Kids just being kids" "it's just teasing" is not really an excuse. Children are definitely capable of emotional and physical as well as sexual abuse.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi all.

A quick question that may help me begin to find a way of dealing with being me.

POWER (lower older reptilian brain) is traumatic to the emotions

the emotions (newer middle mammalian brain) are programmed for co-equal cooperation

but the reptilian brain only cares about more power

when people bully they traumatize their own emotions as well. becoming like vampires

soul searching

soul searching

I've heard it can cause PTSD. And probably a lot of complications can occur too. If I was you, I would seek professional help.

G

Grace in defeat

I was bullied all the way through primary and secondary school and at uni and was always told to ignore them or to try being more normal. Bullying stays with you. It affects your confidence and the decisions you make. I think it definitely counts as a trauma as it was distressing at the time and it's still affecting you now.

I'm sorry you went through that. Bullying is a horrible experience and it is really difficult to ask for help. Bullying is 'normal' in the sense that it happens in a lot (if not all) schools, but it's never acceptable.