• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

advice needed

S

sandie32

i am a partner of someone who i am starting to believe my have bipolar disorder..

He is 40 and we have been together for 4 yrs, in that 4 years wehave many great times but also so bad.. In those for years we have had bad depression, acting weird, overly happy, always rushed, losing jobs, drug additcton, acting agressivly, crying.. the list goes on and on..

Everytime i think we are getting on well and he seems to be normal bang it al changes, we have periods of 3-4 weeks where he seems to be okay, then something happens and it all goes to pot, we have a fight and then he can become really low, not getting out of bed, not wanting to do anything, then we fight more, then he threaten to end it all and crys all the time, then we go from one extreme to another, he then promies to get well and sort things out, he always wants to od things there and then, that also drives me crazy becasue he is wanting to dot hings all the time and can not wait.. H then acts totally out of character and demands things like money or sex..

For expample last week he came to house and ask for money, i said no, he became increainglt agitiated and quite nasty and would not let me out of house for my work, he then proceeded to take my engagment ring from me and pawned it, i was really hurt and upset and refused to talk to him, he then came to house next day and acted as if nothing had happned played dwon the previous days events as nothing and wanted my bus ticket, when i said no he called ma a nasty cow and left my home slamming my door in the process, i never spoke to him the then he called and called leaving voice messages each one sounding more frantic then the other. When i di dget back in touch he was crying saying how disgusted with himself he was and begging for me to help him.. I saw hm tonightand he is so low talking about wanting to end it all and feels he does not know what is happening to him, he is like a little lost boy looking for reassurance

I am on the verge of not being able to cope with his erratic behaviuor, we have been to see gp but bcausehe has taken drugs in the past i think they are blaming it on that, theyhave given him anti-depressants and theyhave done nothing, infact this is the 2nd lot he has got and it has not made the slightest bit of difference to him.

I love this ma but it is driving me nuts, all his llies, his behaviuor and the depression is very hard to deal with, i now in my heart feel he may have bipolar diorder and wanted your adive if you may think i am right..

any advice is warmly appreciated xx

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Only a psychiatrist can diagnose him i'm afraid and it would be wrong for us to speculate.

The symptoms you describe could be down to his drug abuse but only a paychiatrist can diagnose that.

Welcome to the forum anyway:)

S

sandie32

he has not used for a whil and his moood is so low, he has said he is scared some days to how he feels, he hardly sleeps or eats most of the time, but some days and these are not often he sleepa all day and eats like a horse.. Things are out of control for him and ic an see that there is something going on, he has begged me for help and wants me to go to the doctor with him, i am going to be requesting a mental health assessment as a matter of urgency, he is really low and i am worried about how bad things are, he has spent time in a locked ward for his problems before, actually twice but he at that time was no very co-opertvie with the doctors, maybe it was fear i dont know but he was discharged with in ten days, it is so scary and i have looked on the bipolar web site ans he has alot of the symtoms.

S

sandie32

any more advice wouldbe great x