• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Advice needed!

T

TSP

Hi. I recently started dating a woman (36) with borderline. From what I've picked up, she started self mutilation (it's bad) at the age of 14 and has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals until she was 34. She stopped self-harming and she's doing a lot better, or so she says. We've been on a date some time ago, it went pretty fine, but at the end of the date we got into a "deep" conversation, she clearly stated she wasn't looking for a relationship at this moment, but that could change in a month or so(her head was buzzing from studying IT and taking driving lessons, and she needed time and space for herself at the moment). She told me she'd very much would like to keep me close in her life. (I know, probably a form of manipulation), and with watery eyes, she told me she even has doubts about being an A-sexual and A-romantic person. Before we both went our own way, she presses her body against mine, did it twice actually, and hugged me really tight, after the hug I could see a big smile and twinkeling in her eyes. She told me she likes it when I send her "loving" texts and such, but now she's totally off the grid, she reads the texts but there's no reply. We agreed to go on another date during our former date, but yeah. I have no clue what's happening. she might be doing this constantly to people or it could all be true, and she's just going through a tough time in her head. It's the combination of all the things she said that makes me doubt about waiting for her or cut and run. So yeah, thoughts and advice would be welcome!

D

dewey

she clearly stated she wasn't looking for a relationship at this moment, but that could change in a month or so
well I guess it's down to you to decide whether you are ready to deal with all this uncertainty.

From an outside perspective, someone who doesn't reply to your texts when you've barely started dating, sounds like obvious redflags.

I find her being borderline a bit irrelevant as someone with borderline could want to go into a relationship full-on and not be this uncertain. So it's more to do with her general overall behaviour.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Um...not to be rude or disrespectful, but...I would walk away. Right now. She doesn't know what she wants or who she is. (Hey, neither do I! So no judgment here, but as someone with BPD also who has been sexually / affectionately / emotional teasing, seductive, shy, aloof, moody, clingy and then "out of sight out of mind", it's just a huge emotional strain for you. I'd leave now, early on)

And yeah, if I really want someone, they know it. I REALLY want them. Too much. It's when I don't know or I'm not sure that I act...like the above.

T

TSP

Um...not to be rude or disrespectful, but...I would walk away. Right now. She doesn't know what she wants or who she is. (Hey, neither do I! So no judgment here, but as someone with BPD also who has been sexually / affectionately / emotional teasing, seductive, shy, aloof, moody, clingy and then "out of sight out of mind", it's just a huge emotional strain for you. I'd leave now, early on)

And yeah, if I really want someone, they know it. I REALLY want them. Too much. It's when I don't know or I'm not sure that I act...like the above.
Yes well... It's a thin line between crazy and genius and, sadly, I lean towards crazy. Fuck me. Ah well. I appreciate your reply, I really do! When I think about "normal" women, I'm like, I'm not doing that, are you crazy? Lol. Just wanted to see what people with BPD thought about the situation. You we're no help at all! (my way of saying thank you)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Volbe [Advice Needed] Cutting ties with someone you care for because you know BPD will get in the way? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
C Advice Needed 💪🏻 Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
S Advice needed - therapy options Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
E Advice Needed from Women of the Forum Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 18
L Advice needed Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
S Personality disorder assessment - ADHD too? Advice needed Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
D Advice Needed For A Partner of BPD/EUPD and PTSD Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
V Borderline Personality Disorder getting worse? Advice needed Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
H Friend with BPD ....help/advice needed (sorry this is a long post...) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
M BPD and relationships - advice really needed!! Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
D BPD advice desperately needed: Can anyone give me insight to cope and understand? Will really appreciate it. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 25
N Advice and help with bpd and relationships needed. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
I New rship advice needed Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
C Advice needed Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
mygirl1uk Support and Advice Needed Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
sunflower Advice needed please Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
D Advice needed asap! Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
1 advice (uk services) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
M I need some advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
J I need some advice. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
OneDayAtATime156 breakup advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
P Private BPD/EUPD assessment (UK) any advice? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 15
S Need urgent advice - TRIG *** Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 18
OneDayAtATime156 Advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 22
OneDayAtATime156 Needing to ramble/Advice for work Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
G Bpd and relationship advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
S New here. Need advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
E Advice with relationship Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
D I need advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
C Advice on medications Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
ketuntassut I need advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
M Advice, please. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
M Need Advice - BPD Ex Harassment Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
1 Advice on what to do (UK services) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
1 I need some advice. New symptoms I'm worried about Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 30
EarthChild Any divorced people? Any advice? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
N i dont know if i have BPD or not and am looking for advice... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
N Advice?? Does anyone else go through this Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
S Friendship Post-Breakup (I need advice!) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
M Advice please *May trigger existential issues please be aware** Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
S Conflict with friend - looking for advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 11
M Managing both BPD and physical disablity... any advice? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
B Citalopram advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 23
R Newbie - Relationship and Parenting Advice wanted Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
Nattymat Advice Please Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
F What advice would you give me? Marriage in on the rocks Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
Delilah67 Advice on how to handle my relationship Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
R Friendships & Relationships Advice? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
S I need to come clean (I need advice) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
T A guy I am seeing has BPD and I need some advice Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 74