• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Advice needed please

S

Sophie_10

Hi, I am new to the forum and also pretty new to suffering with Anxiety.

I keep having physical symptoms like my heart racing, feeling my pulse in odd places and blood moving round my body, a fluttery feeling here and there, very slight pressure on my chest, amongst other things. I convinced myself I must have a problem with my heart which made me panic more, which in turn made my heart beat faster and therefore panic even more etc.

I spoke to a doctor over the phone on Wednesday who agreed that it sounded more like its anxiety induced and basically told me to try keep myself calm.

Last night in bed I felt something I assumed was my heart and if it was I maybe skipped a beat or something so of course I panicked again and ended up in the same cycle as up until then I felt fine and not feeling at all anxious.

Can anyone advise me how to stop worrying so much. The majority of my brain is telling me I'm overreacting, feeling something around my body isnt that unusual and normally I probably wouldn't of even thought twice about it. I dont even know if it was my heart I was feeling!

Anyway I'm sorry to ramble on, just not sure what to do!

A

AliceB

Have you ever tried mindfullness exercises? A breathing exercise I find really useful is one I was given to try by a mental health nurse. Really simple and you can do it anywhere and anytime and no one would no. Just hold your breath for 4 seconds (without taking a big breath in first) then in for 3seconds and out for 4. Between focusing on the breathing and the counting you're distracted from the heart rate. Also I like to tense a part of the body, eg hand, for 10 seconds and then relax it, do this untill you've done the whole body and it helps remove the tension you're holding in the body, which in turn helps fight that fight or flight response that causes your heart to thump. I'm no expert these are just ones I've been suggested by the professionals who know me and they work for me but there are so many exercises out there you just gotta work through untill you find one that works for you

S

Sophie_10

I dont know any exercises. I just try deep breathing or try to focus on something else but it doesn't always work. Especially at night!

I will try those exercises today though, thankyou!

S

Shay94

I keep having physical symptoms like my heart racing, feeling my pulse in odd places and blood moving round my body, a fluttery feeling here and there, very slight pressure on my chest, amongst other things. I convinced myself I must have a problem with my heart which made me panic more, which in turn made my heart beat faster and therefore panic even more etc.

I spoke to a doctor over the phone on Wednesday who agreed that it sounded more like its anxiety induced and basically told me to try keep myself calm.

Last night in bed I felt something I assumed was my heart and if it was I maybe skipped a beat or something so of course I panicked again and ended up in the same cycle as up until then I felt fine and not feeling at all anxious.

Can anyone advise me how to stop worrying so much. The majority of my brain is telling me I'm overreacting, feeling something around my body isnt that unusual and normally I probably wouldn't of even thought twice about it. I dont even know if it was my heart I was feeling!

Im currently in same place trying to keep myself calm in situations I feel anxiety rising/panic attacks. Deep breathing helps but I also find plugging my headphones in & crank up loud music distract my mind from thinking of whatever I'm freaking out over. But im also bookinga docs appt to get new meds to see if they'll help more with the anxiety. I struggle most days just doing daily shit now

S

Sophie_10

Yeah I might try that. I struggle to distract myself sometimes. Then I overthink it. And I've never even worried about my heart once in my life before but now its constant. Its crazy

S

Shay94

I know what you mean. I try not to overthink things either but then it'll suddenly hit you, you feel like there's no oxygen getting to your body, nauseous, blood rushes from your face etc. It's constant especially with the virus going on atm but we gotta try finding ways to push thru it somehow

S

Sophie_10

Absolutely. It's like I cant control my own mind at times. But I find some comfort in knowing it's not just me

Y

YogiLife

It becomes a vicious cycle, because even if the symptom was physical and unrelated to anxiety, the anxiety can perpetuate it and make it worse. It can also change your perception of what's happening, so you think it's worse than it actually is.

Heart palpitations and ectopic beats can be common and can be triggered by anxiety and stress etc. It's good that you've been to the doctor.

If you were interested, the mindful association are doing daily meditations via zoom for free- here's a link:

S

Sophie_10

That's great thankyou. I'll give that a try later.

Thata my problem, I know it's most likely anxiety and stress that's caused it but my irrational thinking takes over and I cant control it.