Advice Needed from Women of the Forum

E

EstherRose94

Every month before I start my period my anxiety and obsession with fears of being abandoned or not being good enough go through the roof. I’m trying to avoid being a clingy mess. What do you guys use to help you? I can use like a partial dose of Xanax but (shh) it’s not actually prescribed to me so I know I shouldn’t. If I don’t though I’m ultra sensitive and likely to trigger an argument with the SO later. He’s so sweet I’d rather just like sedate myself a little? Yikes. What should I do?

Flameheart

Flameheart

you should probably explain to your partner that you are extra sensitive at this time and apologise for if you go off on him, I'm the same when im about to start my period, I try not to use it as an excuse though, but PMS feels very real at the time

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I don’t know what age you are but It may be worth mentioning it to your gp cos it may be something that could be treated. Evening primrose in a high dose is good for pmt and associated problems. But keep a diary of mood swings then you and your partner can be aware when it’s likely to happen and be prepared

G

Girl interupted

See if maca helps. It’s a vitamin that helps with ebb and flow of estrogen. I tried it, but it made me too hyper. I have a friend who swears by it though.

L

Lunar Lady

Esther, chat to your GP (or ask reception for a lady GP if there is one)

There are lots of herbal preparations on the market but please don't use anything without telling your GP - lots of them can cause serious reactions when used with regular medication - even some combinations of vitamin pills and meds can give you dreadful side effects and complications, so talk to your doctor first.

As the others have said, be open with your boyfriend and warn him when you're approaching that stage of your cycle so he can understand strange behaviour and know he's not the cause. xx

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

I echo the advice about talking to your doctor before taking anything in case it interacts with any current meds you are taking, does your doctor know about the xanax? :hug:

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
I agree with everyone else about talking to your gp and explaining you are feeling extra sensitive to your partner
also try and come on here and we will do our best to support you
always here to listen
love Lu xxx

E

EstherRose94

See if maca helps. It’s a vitamin that helps with ebb and flow of estrogen. I tried it, but it made me too hyper. I have a friend who swears by it though.
Haha I could stand to be a little more energetic but picturing myself as hyper makes me laugh. I’ve never heard of that though thank you. I’ll read up on it 👩🏼‍🏫

E

EstherRose94

I echo the advice about talking to your doctor before taking anything in case it interacts with any current meds you are taking, does your doctor know about the xanax? :hug:
My psychiatrist does and he doesn’t seem too worried because I use like half a pill every several weeks. Today I chose a nap instead though which I’m quite proud of 😊

E

EstherRose94

I agree with everyone else about talking to your gp and explaining you are feeling extra sensitive to your partner
also try and come on here and we will do our best to support you
always here to listen
love Lu xxx
Aw thanks so much that’s the sweetest! Gonna make me tear up over here hahaha.

E

EstherRose94

@ Lunar, Daffy, and BPDevil

Thanks so much for the advice! Good point with asking my doc about what to do before I try anything out. I’ll be sure to do that. I’ve mentioned that my cycle seems to cause mood swings to my psychiatrist before but I don’t think he’s particularly expert level with that sort of thing. He tends to draw the conversation back to my feelings and what triggered them which is good but I am hypersensitive during these times like I feel a real difference.

Also awesome advice about communicating with my bf. Oddly enough he tends to know when I’m experiencing PMS before I do because from my point of view it just seems like everyone around me has suddenly become untrustworthy, annoying, and insensitive. And it takes his perspective to be like “no, you’re being extremely sensitive to stuff that doesn’t normally bug you”.

But today I did notice that feeling in myself before anything actually bothered me. And I was like okay, don’t lash out at anyone.

Seriously helps that my baseline is back to normal now because before I think I just always felt like this and couldn’t tell what was up at all.

D

dewey

I hear you on this, PMS is the worst, others have given good advice :)
Unfortunately have no solutions other than take all the rest you need and be kind to yourself.
I totally get the mood dips and it sucks, it's so stupid how we are slaves to our hormones like this.
xxx

E

EstherRose94

I hear you on this, PMS is the worst, others have given good advice :)
Unfortunately have no solutions other than take all the rest you need and be kind to yourself.
I totally get the mood dips and it sucks, it's so stupid how we are slaves to our hormones like this.
xxx
I know. It’s taken me like 12 years to be able to be like “this is PMS” rather than “its official, I’m finally losing my mind”

Flameheart

Flameheart

I know. It’s taken me like 12 years to be able to be like “this is PMS” rather than “its official, I’m finally losing my mind”
i still dont really know until i actually have my period and then im like oh that explained the breakdowns this past week :D

Luci

Luci

I used to suffer every month. A few days leading up to and sometimes a few days after. Personally using contraceptives that stop my cycle help me a lot! Bit this isn't for everyone :)

Luci

Luci

I once rang my partner in hysterical floods of tears because I couldn't turn the grill on..... :redface: