Advice needed - Dealing with my sister's anxiety

M

McGinn96

My younger sister (aged 12) has anxiety that is preventing her from being able to have a normal school life. Our way of helping her get back into school (which has been approved by a psychiatrists) is by me bringing her over to the school and me dealing with the anxiety attacks while in the school as she responds well to me. Sometimes she'll go into the classroom with me (which is not ideal) or sometimes even go on her own but we don't know what will happen until she arrives at the school.

This has started to take a toll on my own mental health. I am exhausted from trying to help her. I have no routine anymore and my social life has gone out the window because I've to be at home for when she gets the courage to go over to the school. I don't know how I'll deal with going back to college in two weeks. Last year I used to miss lectures to be there to help her

I feel guilty when I'm not there to help her but I don't know how long I can go on being her support system.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hello and welcome McGinn96

what a caring kind and considerate brother you are. and yes you need to keep yourself from dipping this is extremely important. your parents need to take on more responsibility they cant expect you to keep doing this.

its a tough one because you are so caring. you cant put your life on hold as long term that will affect your chances of job/education prospects

the bottom line is that its your parents that need to take a more active role regarding your younger sister.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hi McGinn96,

Sorry to hear what you're both going through. You're such an amazing sibling for stepping up and working so hard to be the emotional support for your sister. However, one of the most important things about helping others with mental health issues is that you make sure yours remains healthy - it is much harder to help someone with mental health issues improve, when your own is dropping off! It's perfectly okay to step away - it's a very difficult task to take on, so if you feel it's too much, then step away and restore your own mental health. Hope you both feel better soonx

Much love <3