• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Advice needed asap.

K

KShiz

Hey everyone, I'm Kirstie & I'm 20, in my last year at University & work part-time at a bank.

I have been suffering from Social Anxiety probably from the age of 16/17, but only in the last few years have been diagnosed and told I wasn't going crazy!

Ive been prescribed Citalopram and have been on that for probably around a year maybe longer.

When I first visited my doctor I was referred to a Gateway nurse, who enrolled me in a telephone and book course. I received a phone call each week (well not every week) to speak to a counsellor and work through the workbook. The workbook gave me some good techniques to control breathing etc. but the counselling didn't really work. Nothing really improved and I still got anxious at the thought of or attendance of a social event.

Saw another Gateway nurse who was more helpful & I ended up being prescribed Citalopram, which I have roughly been on for just over a year.
They helped with my mood and the way I was in myself, I "appeared" much calmer and I did see an improvement.

It is strange because I can go to some places and not feel anxious, for example I went to my student ball in May of this year, got very drunk and had a great night, although I went home at about 11.30pm which is early for students! My best friend said how proud she was and also my family and I relly enjoyed myself.

I've also been on holiday with my family and eaten out every night, which is normally a no no.

I'm not going to lie, there were occasions where I felt....uh oh....I'm having a moment, but I kind of felt like I could get past it.

Now today, I dont know whether its because Im just having a bad day etc....but my friends are going out tonight, and I said I would think about it....kind of felt ok about it, but have ended up saying no, I do feel so much better, the relief is literally like someone taking weights of my shoulders, but then the guilt and feeling sorry for myself follows.

I am annoyed with myself about not going tonight, but I will get over it, purely because thats what I do, put on a face etc. but I mean I cried before writing this message.

I am on 10mg of Citalopram and was wondering if people thought it was worth me returning to my doctor and increasing the dosage? The doctors arent brilliant and I mean if they come up with something else that I could take instead, Im willing to try.

Talking to people is fine at the time.....but then I go home, and if I want to go out, where are they then, so Im not a big follower of the counselling side of things.....the pills help but i mostly deal with it in my own head.

I just need some advice, I dont want to feel like this anymore, its just not fair and I dont understand why Im not better. I have definately improved as I have been able to do things recently that would have made me run for the hills before.

Has anyone got any advice for me?

x

(sorry about the essay!) :oops:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Face to face counselling would probably be better for you maybe your GP would refer you for a course of this.
When you go away to uni you are faced with a lot of changes and new experiences which can feel overwhelming.
It is worht reviewing medications with your GP because there seem to be so many of them and they won't know how you are getting on unless you go back and say there is still a problem.
I hope it goes well for you.
KP

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hi There,

Our situations sound very similar.. I often can go out with my friends and family and be absolutly fineout . Often enjoying myself and not giving two thoughts about feeling anxious. Other times I feel so overwhelmed with thoughts and feelings that I just cannot even face the thought of going out or letting myself have a good time.

I have no experience of telephone suport but I am not sure its something that I woulf gain much benefit from. I am having face to face therepy but this is the third person I have tried with and can honestly say this time I have felt benefits from.

Def worth a trip bcak to your GP as citalopram canbe easily titrated to an effective dose. I have had many positive effects from this drug .

feel free to PM if you want to chat further

Intel
:flowers:

Mitch

Mitch

Hi KShiz.

I'm in no way able to offer up advice for you as I also suffer S.A.D.

But what I can say is this. Be kind to yourself.

Never in the history of the universe has there ever been a 'you'. & never, in all the time to come, will there ever be a 'you'.

If you look for help, then you have more of a chance to find it. & here is a good start.

Peace to you X

K

KShiz

Believe me, if you suffer from it, i think you would have some great advice. Maybe giving advice to someone else will help you with your problems?

Thanks very much for your post. I know I do need to be kinder to myself, I find it hard as I blame myself and have done since Ive started feeling this way.

I hope you find the strength to conquer your problems.

Take care x

ps. Also Im always here if you need to chat.

Mitch

Mitch

Hey Kirstie. I am being being honest. I do suffer from S.A.D., & I honestly have no advice to help you save this,

You're NOT alone with this. If you allow it to control you & your behaviour, then that's what it will do, control you.

For now, why not give it some effort & try to beat it at the pass.

Conciously having it in your mind as a thought, as opposed to a reaction, may help you.

& it's OK to feel as you do.

You're Ok.

Peace X