• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

advice needed about needing space in your relationship

L

Littlered95

I am hoping someone might be able to offer some advice/insight into this for me.

My partner suffers from depression and seems to be in a rough patch. I noticed he was being more distant, communicating less etc. So I challenged it. He essentially said he’s feeling low and needed space. We agreed to cut contact for now, but I’m feeling down about the whole thing.

I wondered if anyone who has been in the position of my partner and could help me understand a bit bette - is this a common thing?

and am I best to totally back off and wait for him to come back (if he wants), or should I check in with him every so often and let him know I’m here when he’s ready?

It’s so hard to know what to do for the best. Thank you for reading!

C

charlieblack5

I’m assuming you don’t live together?

It’s common, at least from my experience. I’m suffering a lot at the moment, and as much as I appreciate my partner and how he wants to help me, some days I just want to be left alone. I’d love nothing more than to have my own place when feeling really down, and there is also the guilt I feel that just because I’m going through a rough time doesn’t mean he has to. So there might be some guilt that’s he’s feeling to?

I’d give some space, but keep checking in.

L

Littlered95

I’m assuming you don’t live together?

It’s common, at least from my experience. I’m suffering a lot at the moment, and as much as I appreciate my partner and how he wants to help me, some days I just want to be left alone. I’d love nothing more than to have my own place when feeling really down, and there is also the guilt I feel that just because I’m going through a rough time doesn’t mean he has to. So there might be some guilt that’s he’s feeling to?

I’d give some space, but keep checking in.
Thanks for replying. No, we don’t live together. So difficult to get the balance right - I don’t want him to think I don’t care, but I also don’t want to suffocate him. It may be he’s feeling guilt too - I’m not sure I handled it very well initially and feel like I need to go back and let him know that I understand now and respect what he said

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H Advice needed Depression Forum 8
D Think my dad has depression (advice needed) Depression Forum 6
W Advice needed for a relationship with someone suffering with severe depression Depression Forum 6
R Some advice needed Depression Forum 2
P Advice needed plz Depression Forum 2
L Struggling to study (Coping advice needed) Depression Forum 3
M Changing Ad advice needed please Depression Forum 1
S Advice needed Depression Forum 1
R Advice needed Depression Forum 2
D Advice needed - what should I be aspiring to? Depression Forum 5
T Advice needed about my depression at work Depression Forum 12
T Advice Needed - Depressed boyfriend Depression Forum 8
D Just diagnosed with depression, medication advice needed please Depression Forum 6
J Advice needed RE depressed girlfriend Depression Forum 1
D Advice needed re Depression/Anxiety Depression Forum 5
CarpeDentum Mirtazipine and returning to work...advice needed please Depression Forum 17
M Advice needed for depressed partner who won't accept help Depression Forum 2
C Advice needed? Depression Forum 2
P Advice needed' don't know where to turn Depression Forum 1
O Advice needed Depression Forum 2
H advice needed! Depression Forum 6
S Help and advice needed with dealing with someone suffering mental health. Depression Forum 2
I Advice needed please. Depression Forum 3
fairy_wings Relapse - Advice Needed, please? Depression Forum 10
OobieMoobie Some advice needed please. :) Depression Forum 11
T Advice needed Depression Forum 2
T Came out of a depressive phase and wanted to share advice Depression Forum 2
H Advice Depression Forum 1
S Need some advice about a man with depression (I am depressed too) Depression Forum 12
J Barely have any friends, need advice from others. Depression Forum 2
E Advice Depression Forum 3
R My work and home life is making me depressed. Advice please. Depression Forum 2
L If anyone could read this or give any kind of advice I could really use it! Depression Forum 5
I Advice please Depression Forum 20
Signofthetimes Confused, asking for advice I think or just reflecting, not sure. Hard day mentally and emotionally. Depression Forum 7
P Need some serious advice Depression Forum 4
DistantOcean Advice for people with depression Depression Forum 7
S Advice Depression Forum 8
J Advice. Depression Forum 3
D Relationship Advice Depression Forum 7
I Advice please Depression Forum 8
L Depressed partner- seeking advice Depression Forum 5
I Work place bullying advice please Depression Forum 21
fluffydogs Advice for dragging myselt out of an episode? Depression Forum 16
F Mental health advice Depression Forum 2
P Asking for advice Depression Forum 3
T Advice for the depressed Depression Forum 24
H Frustrated with CBT, any advice? Depression Forum 10
M Girlfriend has depression and has pushed away. Need advice/support Depression Forum 2
T Advice for you on loniless and depression Depression Forum 5