• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Advice: Medications for Bipolar Depression

M

MCS5412

Does anyone have advice or can anyone share experiences about medications that have helped your depression? (While being diagnosed bipolar). I have had bipolar disorder for about 15 years, and have tried many different medications. It could be worse, but the combination I have is not treating my depression and response to stressful situations well. (I am taking wellbutrin, abilify, lamictal, and lithium). I have tried SSRI's 5 different times in the past and they have always made me incredibly anxious and/or manic, so I cannot take them. My doctor is aware of this and does not want me to try anything new for now. I usually get sad and anxious when I am alone for an extended period of time, or if a stressful situation comes up. I appreciate any help with this!

K

keith74

Does anyone have advice or can anyone share experiences about medications that have helped your depression? (While being diagnosed bipolar). I have had bipolar disorder for about 15 years, and have tried many different medications. It could be worse, but the combination I have is not treating my depression and response to stressful situations well. (I am taking wellbutrin, abilify, lamictal, and lithium). I have tried SSRI's 5 different times in the past and they have always made me incredibly anxious and/or manic, so I cannot take them. My doctor is aware of this and does not want me to try anything new for now. I usually get sad and anxious when I am alone for an extended period of time, or if a stressful situation comes up. I appreciate any help with this!
My wife was put on 300mg quetiapine when she fell into an acute depressive (along with extreme anxiety) episode back in late January. She is doing much better now as she is coming back to baseline. She is also on 1000mg depakote/epival but that is her usual mood stabilizer for mania. Lamictal and Lithium have very good reputations for treating depression so it is disappointing that it is not working well for you. My wife and I do believe that meds are just one part of the solution however. She needs a balanced combination of meds, healthly living, and therapy (CBT/DBT, etc) to be really stable. Just taking the meds without addressing the other parts is not enough.

L

LadyDomino

I'm on Lamictal and Lithium, which keep me stable, but also on Duloxitine for the depression. Duloxitine is a selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) rather than an SSRI so you maybe better with that. I do have minor depressive episode of uncontrolable crying, but these are few and far between.

Wishbone

Wishbone

How long have you been on that meds combination?

JessisMe

JessisMe

I’m on Lithium and Lamotrigine too. Also Invega Sustenna.
So far so good.

S

SFGuy

I have taken SSRIs with no good effects over the years. I finally have a psychiatrist who is a bipolar expert. She has me on a mood stabilizer and tranquilizer. For depression, it's Dexedrine and custom-compounded Ketamine nasal spray. For the last few years, I've had no major depressions and no SSRI side effects.

U

Underdog21

I've been on Lithium for 3 months and a half. I've been suffering from depression in Bipolar (agitation, suicidal thoughts, emotional numbness, disconected from the world). I am on 800 mg of Lithium and after 3 months I barely started noticing some changes in my mood. I am not completely out of depression I still have about 40% left to go to improve my mood. It sounds like you've tried a lot of medications. I know it might sound silly but have you tried giving the meds some time. I know I speak for myself that when depressed the last thing I want to do is wait 5-6 months for medication to kick in.

C

Cuse79

I'm on risperidone. It works really well for me.

M

Mav2126

My last miracle drug for my last depression was Zyprexa. It works very very well. It does however have weight gain.

B

Beachgirl71

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello! I have been on many different combos in the last 21 years, so I know it is frustrating when you can't get the right "cocktail". Right now I'm on Latuda, Lamictal, Zoloft, and Trazadone. The Latuda has been a game changer for me. I was on Abilify for about 5 years, and it worked for awhile, but I started feeling numb and disinterested in life. Almost like I was bored all the time. It was weird. I have to have an antidepressant, or I crash hard. Good luck finding the right combo for you!

S

SFGuy

This thread shows how differently we all respond to meds. For me, SSRIs trigger mixed states. I've had success with one short course of IV Ketamine (3 infusions) followed by a specially compounded Ketamine nasal spray, which I take every day. I haven't had a clinical depression since I started it about 4 years ago. Insurance won't cover, so I have to pay cash for it. My doc doesn't know how long it will keep working since it poops out for some people.

GaryC123

GaryC123

Have you done gene testing to determine what types of medicines will work best for you and what won't? That might narrow things down a little more. Otherwise, my understanding is that different meds can work differently on different people.

W

White

I’m bipolar 1 and 2 extreme. I’m on 900 ml lithium, 25 mg Zoloft, Wellbutrin 100 ml... most important is eat, sleep, properly and no stress.
Cognitive behaviour therapy really adds to your mental health. Talk to me anytime.