• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Advice from Prosac takers

H

Hulb90

Hey guys,
I've been reading the forum but can't seem to see this being mentioned before.. So..
I've been tapering onto 20mg of prosac for about 5 weeks. Taking daily now for 2 weeks. Up to that it was 2 on 1 off, 3 on 1 off 4 on 1 off etc.

For the first 2 weeks, I felt generally very anxious, unable to sleep all the usual stuff. For weeks 3 and particularly 4 I felt my mood improving immensely. I enjoyed getting up, doing things, liked talking to people. I felt generally awesome! The best I have ever been. Affectionate. Just incredible. Even attractive.

But for the last 4/5 days I've been lower than ever with some pretty dark thoughts.

My GP mentioned that there might be a slump but it should get better, Is this what I'm experiencing? Has anyone else experienced the awesome happy feeling followed by a crushing low? How long till the lowness resolves?

I used to take mertazepine but I hated how much I was turning into a human slug. And my cognition was terrible..

Sorry if this is the same old stuff. I couldn't find the slump being described anywhere..

katya

katya

Are you a boy or a girl? Could be your periods fucking you up.

I take Prozac and I have had similar experiences. I've been on it for longer than eight months and it was a bit hit and miss to begin with. I found that it made me worse at first, then made me feel quite a lot better - but I still have highs and lows with feelings of worthlessness. It's just my base level is a damn lot higher than it used to be.

I don't think the medication is enough for me on its own - I need talking therapy too, which I'm currently waiting on, and I see that as a reason for some of my episodes of low moods. Maybe you need to be having medication in conjunction with something else.

I'd definitely talk to your GP about it; they'll be able to tell you what's normal at this stage for you. It sounds as though you've been steadily getting better, but you're now experiencing a low. I don't think it's anything to worry about. You'll probably feel better again soon. :)

H

Hulb90

Thanks for the reply!

I'm a boy so I think my uterus is in check. Haha.

I'm also seeing a councillor (who is unfortunately not in the country over christmas) who has helped with General thinking/talking about my woes. But not been able to see him since the drug change.

I think I just need to hang in there. But I've spent a worrying amount of time lying on the floor in a ball with my head in my hands. I think it's just going back to how low I was before but after feeling shiny and new for a few days. Hopefully that will come back. I felt like a real person..!

katya

katya

I'm also seeing a councillor (who is unfortunately not in the country over christmas) who has helped with General thinking/talking about my woes. But not been able to see him since the drug change.
That makes a lot of sense. Sounds like you need to touch base with him so you can be more reassured of what to expect while you're changing drugs.

I think I just need to hang in there. But I've spent a worrying amount of time lying on the floor in a ball with my head in my hands. I think it's just going back to how low I was before but after feeling shiny and new for a few days. Hopefully that will come back. I felt like a real person..!
I think you're right. Don't worry, though. You'll experience highs and lows while you're on prozac because it's not a magic fix-all - but if your experience on it is anything like mine, then it should be really, seriously worthwhile doing in the long run. I'm sure you'll begin to feel like a "real person" soon. Focus on all the good you're doing for yourself.

It might be a good idea to record the kinds of things you're doing when you're low so you can determine if anything in particular is triggering you, so you can avoid those triggers if so.

H

Hulb90

Good idea. Thanks for the help :)