Advice for Hiding Scars

C

Clsampson33

So, a couple weeks ago I self harmed on my left forearm and upper arm pretty badly. Around ten injuries. I've self harmed before but never in a public area, nor did I ever want to, but I was extremely mad at people and myself one day and had a panic attack and did it. As a result I have several scars and several of the injuries are still healing, I've been wearing long sleeve shirts since that day to hide them. I'm 18, still live with my parents too. They would freak out if they knew I self harmed and also I don't want my friends to know really because the last thing I want is sympathy. Any ideas on how to hide these without a long sleeve shirt? The weather is warming up and I can't stand it anymore. And for the future, because people are going to see eventually.. any advice on how to tell people without them freaking out? I'm thinking of telling my best friend but he would maybe.. I just hate constantly hiding them, it's a hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
This is a hard one, as a former self harmer i understand the difficulty of hiding scars.
You can get cover up make up which is easy to apply and is waterproof but its the hassle of having to apply it everyday. The one i use is called Veil. Not sure if you can get it or something similar in the USA?

As for telling people, not everyone understands self harm. They think its about wanting to die which isnt the case. My mum still doesnt understand and well her generation (60+years) didnt have the information about mental health that we have today.

Im sorry i cant offer you great advice, i just wanted to welcome you and let you know that you are not alone.
Hugs
Fox

ThatSinkingFeeling

ThatSinkingFeeling

You could use accessories such as sweat bands or leather gauntlets. Or you could do as I used to for a long-time and use tuba-grip bandages, and say you fell over in the garage or at a park. So long as you come across as confident in your story people don't question for long. Unfortunately sh brings with it a need to put on a face and lie. Not everyone is able to cope with the truth. It will be a matter of finding those who best understand, respect, and can support. I've ditched a lot of friends and family due to them being so poor at this, whilst others were initially yet have grown tremendously (such as my mum and one of my best friends) to be as understanding and supportive as I need them to be. Others still may not be very close to you right now yet step up as amazing people and end up as your best friends. When explaining, try to find a quiet place and simply ask to chat to them about personal issues and their advice, and be as honest as you can, but play it by their reactions. Of course, the best advice is to chat with medical professionals too. All the best.

T

Tabby120

I have no advice for now, while you live with people you don't want knowing about it while the scars are fresh.

For the long term, give those scars no power. I counted 31 scars on my left arm from shoulder to wrist, there may be more hidden under newer ones. I wear short sleeves and tank tops all the time and think nothing of them. I usually forget that they exist. When people ask I say they are self-injury scars, not with intent to shock, just saying the truth, because I will not lie about their origin. They aren't important enough to lie about.