advice for guilt after eating?

B

brokeourmirrors

hi.
first of all, i have not actually been diagnosed, but recently i have been showing a lot of signs and struggles about eating and my self image, so i thought i´d search for advice here.
i´ve been feeling so, so bad every time i eat, especially the past few weeks, it has gotten worse. been weighing myself every day, every time i walk into the bathroom, and whenever it shows more than the day before, i feel like everything is falling apart, like i have no control whatsoever. i feel like everyone around me is eating so little, and is so skinny, and i´m just here eating 24/7, becomig fatter and fatter, which i know isn´t true, but i can´t help but tell myself it.
i feel good only if i can feel that i´m hungry. so i have only been eating small snacks throughout the day, which made me so hungry in the evening that i ended up eating more again, which made me feel even more gross, and so on, it´s like and endless cycle, and i don´t know how to get rid of these thoughts before it can get worse. i feel sick even thinking about my next meal with my family. i never thought i´d slip into these thoughts this much at all, ever, i was becoming so happy with myself, and then it just all suddenly turned around.
i´m sorry for ranting this much. i can´t talk to my friends about it, firstly because i don´t want them to worry, and secondly because my two closest friends have struggled with their weight before and i don´t wat to trigger them. from my other friends all i can expect is an "oof".
what. do. i. do?? i just want to be able to go to bed again without having to think about every bit of food that has entered my body that day.

Z

Zoe1

hi welcome

n yeah ... same issues really
now these days I only weigh myself once a month
because of the obsessiveness it brings up

I know when I'm in a good space with myself
that my eating becomes healthy and well balanced

which it is not really at the moment
apart from the obsession is not there now
I have alot more going on in my life
so that I'm not thinking about food all the time

I find it helpful answering other peoples posts
it helps me to come out of my self obsessed bubble

that is one possible suggestion you could try

:hug5:

L

Lunar Lady

Hi Brokeourmirors

I can give you a few worthwhile pointers :hug:

There's an old saying about dieting:

Breakfast like a king
Lunch like a lord
Dine like a pauper

It's very good advice. Always eat a hearty breakfast. Your body has fasted overnight (that's where the word 'breakfast' comes from - you are breaking a fast) and by the time you wake up, it has started to conserve fat. If you skip breakfast and go hungry, it will keep on conserving fat. A full English is fine if you grill the bacon/sausages, poach your egg and control the portion size.

When you're dieting, you should be eating 5 meals a day (yep - not kidding). Your body needs to sense a food abundance so it will burn off calories quickly. These meals need to be evenly spaced and sensible foods. People always think they need to eat like a rabbit and pile up bowls of leafy salad. That's not smart or necessary - you still need carbohydrates and fat - sensible portions of potatoes, rice and lean meat and fish. This will NOT pile the pounds on - that comes from long stretches of starvation followed by blow-outs because you're starving.

If you don't know too much about nutrition and calorific values, I strongly recommend joining Weight Watchers. They have a superb handbook and give an enormous amount of support and encouragement.

It's not a good idea to weigh yourself every day. Honestly - we can gain or lose three pounds depending on when we ate and if we've used the toilet. It's a pointless exercise and gives you the constant highs and lows of 'lost a pound...gained a pound.' Bathroom scales in the home are notoriously inaccurate anyway. If you go to Weight Watchers, they'll weigh you once a week on medically-used scales. You shouldn't weigh yourself more frequently than every seventh day.

The most important element of losing weight is exercise. The more energy you expend, the quicker you burn calories. It's the only way to lose weight and lose inches off of your body quickly. You should be doing at least 20 minutes of high impact exercise a day (meaning, you sweat and get out of breath). I am trained in nutrition - but I'm also a chocaholic, sugar junkie! I don't count calories or worry - I just exercise more than I eat ;)

Please don't get seduced by the feeling of hunger - this is how eating disorders begin. If you are hungry, your body is hanging on to every inch of fat to keep you going - you have to eat yourself slim.

I hope you can join a group for support - particularly as you don't want to talk to your friends about this. Don't forget, we're here for you too. :hug:

Sending a big hug and lots of love xxx

B

brokeourmirrors

hi welcome

n yeah ... same issues really
now these days I only weigh myself once a month
because of the obsessiveness it brings up

I know when I'm in a good space with myself
that my eating becomes healthy and well balanced

which it is not really at the moment
apart from the obsession is not there now
I have alot more going on in my life
so that I'm not thinking about food all the time

I find it helpful answering other peoples posts
it helps me to come out of my self obsessed bubble

that is one possible suggestion you could try

:hug5:
hey, thank you so much for the tips, and i hope you get better soon too, keep going :)

B

brokeourmirrors

Hi Brokeourmirors

I can give you a few worthwhile pointers :hug:

There's an old saying about dieting:

Breakfast like a king
Lunch like a lord
Dine like a pauper

It's very good advice. Always eat a hearty breakfast. Your body has fasted overnight (that's where the word 'breakfast' comes from - you are breaking a fast) and by the time you wake up, it has started to conserve fat. If you skip breakfast and go hungry, it will keep on conserving fat. A full English is fine if you grill the bacon/sausages, poach your egg and control the portion size.

When you're dieting, you should be eating 5 meals a day (yep - not kidding). Your body needs to sense a food abundance so it will burn off calories quickly. These meals need to be evenly spaced and sensible foods. People always think they need to eat like a rabbit and pile up bowls of leafy salad. That's not smart or necessary - you still need carbohydrates and fat - sensible portions of potatoes, rice and lean meat and fish. This will NOT pile the pounds on - that comes from long stretches of starvation followed by blow-outs because you're starving.

If you don't know too much about nutrition and calorific values, I strongly recommend joining Weight Watchers. They have a superb handbook and give an enormous amount of support and encouragement.

It's not a good idea to weigh yourself every day. Honestly - we can gain or lose three pounds depending on when we ate and if we've used the toilet. It's a pointless exercise and gives you the constant highs and lows of 'lost a pound...gained a pound.' Bathroom scales in the home are notoriously inaccurate anyway. If you go to Weight Watchers, they'll weigh you once a week on medically-used scales. You shouldn't weigh yourself more frequently than every seventh day.

The most important element of losing weight is exercise. The more energy you expend, the quicker you burn calories. It's the only way to lose weight and lose inches off of your body quickly. You should be doing at least 20 minutes of high impact exercise a day (meaning, you sweat and get out of breath). I am trained in nutrition - but I'm also a chocaholic, sugar junkie! I don't count calories or worry - I just exercise more than I eat ;)

Please don't get seduced by the feeling of hunger - this is how eating disorders begin. If you are hungry, your body is hanging on to every inch of fat to keep you going - you have to eat yourself slim.

I hope you can join a group for support - particularly as you don't want to talk to your friends about this. Don't forget, we're here for you too. :hug:

Sending a big hug and lots of love xxx
thank you so so much, i cant tell you how much this helps me. i will try my best to listen to your advice :)
lots of love to you too :hug:

J

Jules5

I like what the post said about eating 5 times a day. I just came back from vacation and ate 5 times a day and actually lost 4 lbs. Well needed pounds that needed to come off now I am skinny and starting to worry about this. I do need to eat 5 meals per day just to stay healthy. I am currently starving my body. Not good. I am not hungry either which is not good.

Luna Lady is right about what she said it does encourage me I hope you as well. Lots of hugs and love hope all goes well.