• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Advice for dragging myselt out of an episode?

fluffydogs

fluffydogs

Every once in a while i get stuck in a horrible depressive episode where everything is bleak and i cant find one reason to go on. lately i've been thinking a lot about suicide, i've planned it all to the last detail. i know i wont do it but i HAVE to get out of this state of mind because it is literally ruining my life and relationships. for the past 3 days all ive done was to lay in bed with a blank mind.

i simply dont have the time or money to go to therapy. is there anything i can do to get out of this on my own? i just dont have any help from anywhere else. i need to sort it out myself. what do you usually do that helps??

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

If you’re thinking about suicide and are in immediate danger, please call your local emergency number (i.e. in the UK call 999, in the USA or Canada call 911, in Australia call 000 and in New Zealand call 111) or call the international emergency number of 112.

If you have been affected by the contents of this thread and would like to speak to someone about your feelings you can call one of the following helplines:

In the UK and Ireland, the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123.
In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.
In Canada, the Suicide Prevention Service on 1.833.456.4566.
In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is on 13 11 14.
In New Zealand, the Need to Talk service is on 1737 or 080017371737.
Other international helplines can be found at www.befrienders.org.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

This forum acts as group therapy, where the group consists of the members of this forum. It would be beneficial if you could tell your story in one post, and then we can go over the details one by one to offer you guidance and support to help you with coping with your situation.

M

Megan5

How long have you been feeling like this? If its over 2 weeks, then you might need to see a Dr. to get assessed for Depressive Illness. Its normal to have suicidal thoughts when you have this illness, and it needs to be treated,....talk therapy might help a little but when it gets to this stage its dangerous. Getting on medication was the best thing I ever did for my Depressive illness that reoccurs about every 5-10 years. My Mom had Bipolar so I inherited this, not my fault, needs to be taken seriously.

Fay F

Fay F

When I was at my worst depression, I felt the same way you do. Luckily I had two little puppies that forced me out of the house. Once I was dressed, I would usually walk with them longer than I'd planned. Being out in nature and walking helped me so much in those days. I used to hug trees and bring my camera with me to take pictures of the little forest critters.

At one point I planned it all out and even made plans for someone to take care of my dogs for me under the guise that I was having knee surgery. I got nostalgic and started to look at photos of the dogs...and I couldn't go through with it. I got them back and promised them I would be with them for the rest of their lives. And I promised myself that I wouldn't think about suicide while they were alive. They both lived to 19 years old. I think they were my guardian angels.

Therapy is so expensive, it's a crime. It shouldn't be something we have to pay hundreds of dollars for, just to help us stay alive and healthy. I talk to a social worker and a self-esteem coach, all free services where I live. Maybe you can find someone like that to talk to?

:hug:

M

Megan5

How I cope, I accept my mood, honour the feelings no matter how unpleasant. I treat myself gently, move slower, listen to mellow music or sad music, and take a sedative to take the edge off of the anxiety which is very much apart of this. I highly recommend getting an assessment at the hospital, they can pinpoint the trouble, if it carries on. They might prescribe a sedative to get you over the rough part. They won't necessarily prescribe an anti depressant unless you really need it. They are the Pros with diagnosis. It was the best thing I ever did.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

How I cope, I accept my mood, honour the feelings no matter how unpleasant. I treat myself gently, move slower, listen to mellow music or sad music, and take a sedative to take the edge off of the anxiety which is very much apart of this. I highly recommend getting an assessment at the hospital, they can pinpoint the trouble, if it carries on. They might prescribe a sedative to get you over the rough part. They won't necessarily prescribe an anti depressant unless you really need it. They are the Pros with diagnosis. It was the best thing I ever did.
EVERY sentence that you wrote is full of good advice. I think your advice should be required reading for every person struggling with a mental illness. Excellent!

M

Megan5

EVERY sentence that you wrote is full of good advice. I think your advice should be required reading for every person struggling with a mental illness. Excellent!
Thank you, I appreciate that, and it helps me to help other people, give it some purpose, because it feels like such a waste of time and a nuisance .

fluffydogs

fluffydogs

How long have you been feeling like this? If its over 2 weeks, then you might need to see a Dr. to get assessed for Depressive Illness. Its normal to have suicidal thoughts when you have this illness, and it needs to be treated,....talk therapy might help a little but when it gets to this stage its dangerous. Getting on medication was the best thing I ever did for my Depressive illness that reoccurs about every 5-10 years. My Mom had Bipolar so I inherited this, not my fault, needs to be taken seriously.
It's been going on for years, probably almost a decade now. Looking back now I realize my mom probably has undiagnosed bipolar, too. I remember she used to be depressed for weeks when I was little, ignoring me etc, then she would become extremely energetic, going out and buying a lot of stuff we didnt need etc. It's funny you mentioned inheriting your depression from your mom, I was just thinking about this myself... Thank you for the reply

fluffydogs

fluffydogs

When I was at my worst depression, I felt the same way you do. Luckily I had two little puppies that forced me out of the house. Once I was dressed, I would usually walk with them longer than I'd planned. Being out in nature and walking helped me so much in those days. I used to hug trees and bring my camera with me to take pictures of the little forest critters.

At one point I planned it all out and even made plans for someone to take care of my dogs for me under the guise that I was having knee surgery. I got nostalgic and started to look at photos of the dogs...and I couldn't go through with it. I got them back and promised them I would be with them for the rest of their lives. And I promised myself that I wouldn't think about suicide while they were alive. They both lived to 19 years old. I think they were my guardian angels.

Therapy is so expensive, it's a crime. It shouldn't be something we have to pay hundreds of dollars for, just to help us stay alive and healthy. I talk to a social worker and a self-esteem coach, all free services where I live. Maybe you can find someone like that to talk to?

Dogs are truly a blessing. I used to have a labrador that was the most gentle soul in the world. It was like he could sense whenever I was sad and he always came to me to cheer me up.

I will try and go out for walks as I've noticed it does help, I just wish I had a forest nearby or something. The city isnt very relaxing. Thank you so much for your reply, just reading it and replying to it made me feel better and less alone.
❤:hug:

fluffydogs

fluffydogs

This is great advice. Thank you so much for reminding me to be gentle with myself. I have been very harsh and mean to myself and I was just realizing now that I would never treat someone else like this, so why am I doing to myself?
I keep telling myself I will go see a doctor but I don't know what's stopping me. I guess somewhere along the way I've convinced myself that my depression isn't real and there's nothing to treat.

Fay F

Fay F

Dogs are truly a blessing. I used to have a labrador that was the most gentle soul in the world. It was like he could sense whenever I was sad and he always came to me to cheer me up.

I will try and go out for walks as I've noticed it does help, I just wish I had a forest nearby or something. The city isnt very relaxing. Thank you so much for your reply, just reading it and replying to it made me feel better and less alone.
❤:hug:
You sound so sweet...can you get another dog? They truly are wonderful animals, angels! :) I agree about the city. I used to live in a bit city, but left many years ago to live in the mountains. It took me 3 years of saving and planning, but I found there are lots of rentals in the country. You just need to have a car I guess. If you can find ANY place where there is nature all around you, go for it! Can you take a bus to a park or maybe a nature reserve? Something like that? Or even a lake?

fluffydogs

fluffydogs

You sound so sweet...can you get another dog? They truly are wonderful animals, angels! :) I agree about the city. I used to live in a bit city, but left many years ago to live in the mountains. It took me 3 years of saving and planning, but I found there are lots of rentals in the country. You just need to have a car I guess. If you can find ANY place where there is nature all around you, go for it! Can you take a bus to a park or maybe a nature reserve? Something like that? Or even a lake?
The fact that you managed to move in the mountains is awesome, I hope to do that too some day.
Unfortunately I cant get another dog since I don't have a yard and I work a lot, he would be alone all day long..
As far as nature goes, I don't have any nice places close by. I hope to one day feel less unstable and get my driver's license.
You sound like a lovely person, too. I wish you many happy, peaceful days.:hug:

Gdzoul28

Gdzoul28

Hi fluffy dog, how do you feel now?
I just found your thread and I’m feeling like this too.

fluffydogs

fluffydogs

Hi fluffy dog, how do you feel now?
I just found your thread and I’m feeling like this too.
Hi! I now feel somewhat better, though it feels like a very fragile feeling.
For me, the problem with these episodes is how quickly they get out of control, which is why I try to stop them as soon as possible. That was why I asked for advice here.
Its important to be kind to yourself. It sucks right now but the episode will pass eventually and you will feel better.
How are you feeling right now?