Advice for a carer

T

Tax Man

Hi,

I have been married for 15 years and I am a carer for my wife who suffers from Bipolar Disorder.

7 months ago my wife decided to stop all medication, refuses to see a Psychiatrist, says her doctor advised her to stop all medication; but her doctor does not respond to me because of data protection; and my wife has been on a constant high; she now says she does not suffer Bipolar; accusing me of colluding with the Psychiatrist to come up with the wrong diagnosis.

Today after a very difficult weekend, feeling completely exhausted and drained and in despair, I cannot see anything else I can do; and my health is now also suffering.

Can anyone offer any piece of advice.

Thanks.

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
Hi sorry you are feeling so weighed down.
I find it very difficult for any GP to suggest stopping medication for BiPD. I know some are less inclined towards the mental health side but this one is glaringly obvious. The biochemical changes cannot be properly treated without a consistent medicative regime. I understand the concerns regarding data protection but your wifes GP has a duty of care to ensure her well being and I would remind him/her of this. If things are becoming so desperate you could try and get her to A&E to see a duty psych but this could be tricky. Your local mental health service will have a crisis team on call which may or may not be of use to you? Its a very tough call on what to do and enormous responsibilty on your shoulders but it is not an act of betrayal to try and find a solution by yourself. If she becomes a danger to herself or others the last resort would be to call the police, (many will disagree with this as they can sometimes be confrontational) but they can hold her long enough to be detained under the MHA. I do stress the importance though of considering the ramifications of this depending on your situation. Its easy for people to offer solutions. Hope it goes well for you.

D

Dollit

You can't force someone into taking medication and there are times in my life when I've stopped taking mine. I too have bipolar disorder and I know that when I'm in a crisis (or having an episode) it's very difficult to listen to reason.

Unless you are registered as your wife's next of kin and her life is in danger then her GP cannot discuss her treatment with you. Nor can you approach other members of her care team except to alert them of the position she is now in. I'd do that if I were you.

The high will burn itself out sooner or later, though that is cold comfort to anyone who has witnessed us being high. She will then become depressed and possibly ready to accept help. She can't think rationally at the moment.

Try and get someone else to stay with her and get some rest. You have to look after yourself too.