Adults with ADD?

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Finally accepted that the problem with my son is he is an adult with ADD. I’ve known there was something a bit unusual about him since shortly after he was born. My midwife said ‘I’ve never known a new-born sleep so little.’
I resisted it and fought against it when he was a child. I didn’t want him to be ‘labelled’ or medicated at such a young age. My son could read fluently, write simple sentences legibly and add and subtract with numbers to ten before he went to school. He found his first two or three years at school boring, and he played up. He didn’t want to sit still on the carpet and listen and put his hand up like he was told. He already knew all the answers. His school referred him to a child psychologist when he was 5. He concluded, like me, that he was simply a highly intelligent and active child, but perfectly normal.
However, my son found school extremely challenging, to the extent that I had to take him out of school at 14 and home educate him to avoid being prosecuted for his non-attendance.
My son did manage to get a few lowly qualifications at college and managed to work in insurance for three productive years but…he is 30 now, still living at home and currently unemployed yet again. He struggles to maintain any kind of routine and knows he is under-achieving but doesn’t have a clue how to change himself or his situation. He has no ability to manage money and is a gambling addict. He oscillates between being highly anxious and depressed. He struggles to maintain the relationship with his girlfriend of 13 years…he is difficult to live with. He has difficulties ‘listening’ to other people and retaining information.
I’m convinced he has ADD but does anyone else on the forum have this diagnosis and can advise? I’ve told him to go to his GP but he is wary of simply being prescribed drugs. I feel his adult problems are my own fault because I denied/neglected the problems he had as a child…but his childhood was happy – at least I can say that 

L

LittleMissHatter

It isn't your fault at all. You did everything you could to help him in his school years including home schooling him which would of taken so much time.

You can't help his addiction, it's not like when he was a child you gave him thousands of pounds and told him to go to the bookies.

Maybe you could offer to go to the GP with him and help explain things and talk things through and if he still doesn't want the idea of medication then discuss the options?

x

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I see your account is closed LittleMissHater but just in case you you can still read this post, thank you so much for replying to me. To be honest, I don't care that much any more whether it is my fault. I just need to find a solution to the problem - but that requires his co-operation.

I have offered to go to the GP with him and in fact, for an adult to get a diagnosis of ADD or ADHD a PDoc needs to have evidence that the condition existed from childhood and I'm probably the only person able to provide that evidence.

It's just hard for me to resign myself to the fact that nobody takes either me or him seriously and therefore we muddle through life with absolutely no support in a kind of living hell :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Midnight.Panda Mental Health Experiences 38
G Mental Health Experiences 1