• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Adult Services

S

Sarey

I have a few questions regarding AS.

1. How do you get referred to see them? I'm 17 & I know you can be referred at age 16+, I'd prefer to see AS for MH as I've been seeing CAMHS since I was 7 & they don't take me very seriously & from experiences, are utterly crap.
  2. What happens when you are referred & an appointment is arranged?
  3. Who is more likely to be involved?
  4. What happens in assessments?
  5. How have you found AS for MH?
  6. Is AS for MH better than CAMHS? Do they take you more seriously? Are they more caring? Are they easy to talk to?
  7. Do they tell you about your diagnosis(s) and what treatment(s) you'll need? Do they discuss things with you regarding your diagnosis(s) & treatment(s)? Or are they not very open about it?
  8. How is therapy for you?
  9. How is your overall experience(s) with AS for MH?
Thanks.
x

Cherry.Candy

Cherry.Candy

You say that your under CAMHS? So if you are they will automatically refer you, you dont have to do anything.

If your not under CAMHS then you go and see your GP who wil refer you to adult services.

When you are reffered you get an appointment sent out to you, which is jsut normally an assesment of your needs..so basically you go there they ask you questions to try and establish if they can help you or not.

When you say who is more likely to be involved? thats quite a broad question. You will probably see either a CPN or social worker, but its mainly CPNs.

Adult services can be quite dificult - I have to say I preffered CAMHS to AS. Im not going to explain my reasons, but thats my opinion, everyone has different opinions.

I would say AS is any more caring, they all work with professioanl boundaires and work within the NICE Guidelines, and as for taking you more seriously, Im not so sure, because I didnt have bad experiences with CAMHS, I would say its probably a little bit better because your an adult.

S

Sarey

"You say that your under CAMHS? So if you are they will automatically refer you, you dont have to do anything."

I am not currently seeing anyone from CAMHS, but I have been under them since I was 7, so I assume I'm still under them until they discharge me.

"If your not under CAMHS then you go and see your GP who wil refer you to adult services."

I'll make an appointment with my GP then & ask him about a referral.

"When you are reffered you get an appointment sent out to you, which is jsut normally an assesment of your needs..so basically you go there they ask you questions to try and establish if they can help you or not."

Thanks.

"When you say who is more likely to be involved? thats quite a broad question. You will probably see either a CPN or social worker, but its mainly CPNs."

Well, who will I be more likely to be assessed by?
Who will I see regularly after the assessment?
Psychiatrists, psychologists, therapists, etc?

What do CPN's do?
What has your experience(s) with CPN's been like?

"Adult services can be quite dificult - I have to say I preffered CAMHS to AS. Im not going to explain my reasons, but thats my opinion, everyone has different opinions."

Alright, you don't have to be so defensive, I asked these questions for others opinions, so I know I'll be getting different opinions.

I'm glad you found CAMHS more helpful, but I haven't, & after 10 years of seeing them & multiple professionals from CAMHS, I am hoping AS will be better.

"I would say AS is any more caring, they all work with professioanl boundaires and work within the NICE Guidelines, and as for taking you more seriously, Im not so sure, because I didnt have bad experiences with CAMHS, I would say its probably a little bit better because your an adult."

Well, I've heard of people bonding with professionals & being attached to them, but I've never had that type of experience, so I hope the people I will see will be more caring & compassionate towards me.
I realize there are boundaries, but this shouldn't stop professionals from being caring & compassionate towards their patients instead of heartless, insensitive *curse*.

And, I hope they will take me more seriously, because from my experiences with CAMHS, they haven't even taken my suicidal attempts(& my attempts haven't just been 1 or 2, it's been over 25, I've lost count though so a specific number can't be provided), & they have also not taken the abuse/neglect I endure daily & have for all my life seriously either, & are in fact insensitive & ignorant & arrogant towards it & other problems of mine too.

Thanks for your input.