• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Adult Children Should Live With Parents Until Marriage

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think it is healthier for us if we move out at 18. Years ago here, women moved out and into a large house for service, at 16, and then met their husband and married and moved with them.

The woman wasn't at home with parents but away at work. They lived-in.

I learnt this is what my ancestors did, Great Grandma, Gt Gt Grandma,

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
when i was a young lunatic the old lags and proffessionals would advise the young lunatic to move out, now you don't get that, it was the start of care in the community which was been hyped as the next best thing to sliced bread

now independent living isn't mentioned much it's got a bad name with the state care cuts

i remember talk about high expresssed emotion households which were bad for the lunatic and off course in the past there was a lot of family bashing by therapists

there is however what will happen to him when i'm gone

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

I'm living with them forever. I don't really have a choice.

S

sallimae76

I think it's down to individual parents as much as cultures as to whether kids get kicked out of the house at 18 etc.

I've been lucky in that because my parents have been well aware of my anxiety issues since I was a child and have supported me throughout - not without moments of stress on all sides though - they would never have thrown me out of the house at 18. In fact I was still living with them as I turned 30 and it was only when dad came into a bit of unexpected money and decided to use it to help me get my little home that I finally had to stand on my own two feet - mostly. I still live in the same town as my parents but it's a 10 minute drive to their house, so not too close. There are several other single people living in my street - ranging from their 40's to their 60's - so I don't feel too alone in that regard.

Had I not had social anxiety and was making friends all over the place - as well as potential relationships - I no doubt would have left home much earlier.
So glad you have supportive parents!