• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Adult Children Should Live With Parents Until Marriage

S

sallimae76

I don't believe in kicking children out at age 18. In some cultures children stay with family until adulthood and marriage. I believe the single life is the reason for depression and suicides. Society needs to change.

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

My parents have never threaten to kick me out, but I feel judge by other people when they become aware I still live with them. I hear some parent talk about how they can't wait for their kids to be out at 18 and it makes me kinda sad.

S

sallimae76

My parents have never threaten to kick me out, but I feel judge by other people when they become aware I still live with them. I hear some parent talk about how they can't wait for their kids to be out at 18 and it makes me kinda sad.
You're very lucky to have quality understanding parents. Don't let others judge you for still living in your childhood home. Family connections means EVERYTHING in this world. I live like a stranger as an adult living on her own and I don't see the point of this.

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

You're very lucky to have quality understanding parents. Don't let others judge you for still living in your childhood home. Family connections means EVERYTHING in this world. I live like a stranger as an adult living on her own and I don't see the point of this.
If y6pur parents were toxic to you then it better if you got away from them. My brother did get told to move out. But there was a lot of tension happening at the time happening between my parents a him. All better now buy it was toxic and probably the best for the situation at the time. If you don't have a dog get one, they are so much better than people most of the time anyways. ☺ Especially if you can adopt one, knowing you gave it a home and love. Just my opinion though. It something that makes me feel less lonely and more fulfilled

K

Keesha

Haha. Right. Stay with parents. Not a friggin’ chance. Home life isn’t all warm and fuzzy for everyone. You are over generalizing your topic.
Not all parents treat their children kindly.

D

Deleted member 93850

wtf society kicks 18 year olds out of the house? Some people don't graduate school till halfway into 18. Do they provide them with a tent and gear? What state do you live in? USA is like saying Europe.

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

I do think its interesting how family is valued so much higher in most other cultures than it is in the american culture.

We give such a pressure for independence and it does maybe lead to more issues than we realize then making it the norm to not leave home until you're truly ready or getting married like a lot of other countries.

But its just how we are. It's an interesting thought.

R

rawlinsc

I live in supportive housing away from family. I couldnt live with my grandparents too much longer anyway because they are very old.

R

rawlinsc

I don't judge anybody for still living with their family at an older age. The economy sucks, good paying jobs are not easy to get, and rent is expensive (unless you are like me because I live in supportive housing for people with mental illness).

E

Elisante

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Most people I know do stay with their parents until they get married.

We had a professor that had studied in the UK and he told us that parents there stopped paying for their children when they reached 18, even if they were rich. And that they expected them to be completely independent. Is this true? Does the same happen in the US? It seems kind of cruel.

S

sallimae76

We had a professor that had studied in the UK and he told us that parents there stopped paying for their children when they reached 18, even if they were rich. And that they expected them to be completely independent. Is this true? Does the same happen in the US? It seems kind of cruel.
Yes, the same mindset is in the USA.

S

sallimae76

If y6pur parents were toxic to you then it better if you got away from them. My brother did get told to move out. But there was a lot of tension happening at the time happening between my parents a him. All better now buy it was toxic and probably the best for the situation at the time. If you don't have a dog get one, they are so much better than people most of the time anyways. ☺ Especially if you can adopt one, knowing you gave it a home and love. Just my opinion though. It something that makes me feel less lonely and more fulfilled
Sorry, I detest dogs. I love cats though.

K

Keesha

It’s not the same mindset here. Parents normally pay for children until they get a job and move out on their own. All of the friends I knew had their own place. There’s nothing cruel about it. It’s called growing up and being responsible for yourself.

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
I know of a few people that got kicked out at 18 because their parents want the kids to learn to stand on their own legs. It’s quite common thing, at least I know quite a few people that have been kicked out.

But among the people I know their parents have saved up a capital for the children. If they aren’t going to move out they will instead pay rent, food, Electric and so on to the parents for living under the same roof.

I find it weird but that’s just because my moms tradition is that kids move out when they are done studying and can stand on their own legs. So when I have my own steady job/ done studying it will be my time to help support my parents instead. So they can have an easy life.

If I would have to work to pay rent to my parents while studying it would push me over the border. Because I can’t balance working the amount I would need to pay and studying 🤣

But I perfectly understand that there are special cases.

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

Sorry, I detest dogs. I love cats though.
Cats are lovely too. I have a few of those. As far as how it is in the US at 18 legally your parent are no longer responsible for you because you are an adult unless there is something wrong with you. I thinknof your in school it might be different but once you are a legal adult they no longer have to provide for you. Some parent have the mindset of get out and fend for yourself. Family dynamics vary a lot in the US.