Adult; autism spectrum

J

Jayjangle

Hello everyone. I may have posted about this before, but for the last year or so I have had my counseling focus more and more on my possibly undiagnosed autism spectrum disorder/asperger's. I'm 23, and have attended therapy since I was about 13. I keep my original diagnoses of OCD and Bipolar Disorder, but my counselor has been intrigued by the ways in which my moods are extremely shifted based on simple stimulus, as well as my social awkwardness and tendencies to get confused easily.

My mom has been a special ed teacher my whole life, and she recently told me that while she equally loved me and my sister, she saw me as being more special, and requiring more general patience and compassion. She told me that she never brought up autism or asperger's growing up because she didn't want to make me even more depressed about things, but wishes she did looking back. The years of my upbringing under her care were full of brief but powerful arguments and fights, and would subside almost instantly with the right resolutions.

I was never that social growing up, but I always loved being with people. That's why this whole thing is confusing to me. The books always say people with asperger's are first and foremost socially awkward and timid. Rather, for me, I have been socially unsuccessful, and I have gone on to gain and quickly lose friends, make enemies, and unwittingly cause conflicts simply because I never understood the subtle yet important rules to socializing. Later on, I understood more, but even these days I don't see why following them is so important in personal terms. Unless an employer is holding me to an expectation, I cannot for the life of me follow the active guidance of someone else.

Finally, not trying to boast or be rude, but I am really intelligent and I can always come up with the most efficient and fastest ways to achieve things. However, I often find myself overwhelmed quite easily with multiple tasks at hand (even as mundane as doing laundry or cleaning up), and I easily lose my temper under pressure, even though I consciously prepare myself to handle such stress. Sometimes, I literally go from feeling like a level-headed adult worker to being an anxious and frustrated child when time constraints get to be a bit much, among other daily situations outside of work.

I'm not asking for a diagnosis, or the advising to see a counselor. i have plenty of exposure to both of those things...rather, I am hoping to get some supportive input or advice about what I can do to sort these things out and figure out what's going on. Thanks :)

aleshadxcherylc

aleshadxcherylc

Hi there
Sorry i cant advise but jsut to say i have autism and aspergers
Can you talk over with your feelings with your counseller?
Katie
xx

Mayfair

Mayfair

Finally, not trying to boast or be rude, but I am really intelligent and I can always come up with the most efficient and fastest ways to achieve things. However, I often find myself overwhelmed quite easily with multiple tasks at hand (even as mundane as doing laundry or cleaning up), and I easily lose my temper under pressure, even though I consciously prepare myself to handle such stress. Sometimes, I literally go from feeling like a level-headed adult worker to being an anxious and frustrated child when time constraints get to be a bit much, among other daily situations outside of work.
I can relate to all of that Jay, apart from the bold. I find that I lose my temper when things don't go as I have worked out as most efficient (like what you said, and what I underlined).

However, I'm not diagnosed, nor do I think I'm Autistic (though it has been said). I feel (for me) that it is a complex issue of perfection/obsession, weighing in against the clear stupidity of people around me who can't see how simple things are, if worked out correctly.

A

Ainsworth

I was never that social growing up, but I always loved being with people. That's why this whole thing is confusing to me. The books always say people with asperger's are first and foremost socially awkward and timid. Rather, for me, I have been socially unsuccessful, and I have gone on to gain and quickly lose friends, make enemies, and unwittingly cause conflicts simply because I never understood the subtle yet important rules to socializing. Later on, I understood more, but even these days I don't see why following them is so important in personal terms. Unless an employer is holding me to an expectation, I cannot for the life of me follow the active guidance of someone else.
well aspergers or not, we all have a need at some points in our lifes to try and join with others, to be social, have friends. but usually when we try and become unsuccessful we then become alone as its easier to cope with. i follow my own rules, if im alone, thats just the way it is. i wont complain about it.

some of what you write i identify with. i havent gone for an aspergers assessment, i refused. i dont really want to know. to me, being aware of anything that does cause a struggle helps greatly and then being 'me' is important. not many will totally accept a person who doesnt fit in with social rules etc and or have behaviours that are considered fixed or aloof.

goodluck

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
punkyme19803 Autism and Mental Health 3