• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Adjusting my medication

P

purplebiro

I was prescribed 15mg Mirtazapine as a "step up" from the 40mg Fluoxetine I had been taking for about 3 years, following a very bad breakdown. Previous to that I have been on lower doesages of Fluoxetine and other SSRIs since I was about 18 of and on (I'm 29 now).

I have been taking Mirtazapine for about 2-3 months now and initially I was feeling better but now I feel worse than ever before, almost as bad as at the breakdown. I'm intensely depressed and can't stop crying. I'm also sleeping 15-18 hours a day at weekends and whenever possible.

I can't get a doctors appointment for another few weeks but I can't go on like this any more. Shall I just up my dosage to 30mg until I see the doctor since I'm pretty sure that's what he'll do anyway? I really want someone to take responsibility for medicating me properly but no one seems to want to do that at my doctors.

Also, does anyone know if an NHS walk-in centre will give me a new prescription for a different dosage since they're much easier for me to see?

S

Soren

hi,

i don't understand why you say you can't see your doctor for a few weeks. you can go whenever you feel the need to - thats what they're there for.

don't be worried about taking up their time or anything like that - if you need help and guidance (and it sounds like you do) then you must make an appointment to see someone.

if they drag their feet, don't take no for an answer and insist that you need help.

look after yourself:)

P

purplebiro

My drs won't give an appointment unless it's an emergency for at least 2 weeks. If it's an emergency you have to call at 8.30am on the day to get an appointment but even then they won't probably be able to give anything I can fit in with work.

S

Soren

thats really disgusting - you shouldn't have to put up with that. i know they have this stupid system where you have to ring on the day you want the appointment, but you should be able to get something sooner than that.

the only advice i can give is to ring up again and explain your predicament, and be insistent that you need to see someone. explain politely that whilst you may not technically be an "emergency", you might well end up being one if you can't see a doctor.

otherwise go to your walk-in centre and explain why you were forced to go to them when your own gp surgery should be providing you with a decent service.

you have to be firm with these receptionists sometimes - they're there to ensure that time-wasters don't clog up the system, but they can't usually tell the difference between genuine and non-genuine cases.

good luck with it :)

G

gothicminx

I was on Mirtazapine. I lasted a week before I stopped. It was awful for me. All I could do was eat and sleep. I'd take feeling suicidal over being a zombie anyway.

Bug your doctor, they're paid to help you.