• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

ADHD and self care

ketuntassut

ketuntassut

I have ADHD (currently unmedicated) and I've been very distressed lately, because of mental health problems. Very often I know that something would probably help me ease my anxiety (showering, yoga etc, stuff to calm down your nervous system). But I have such a difficult time actually doing those things. I know I should, but I just don't. Like i'm stuck.

I know there aren't any magic hacks, but maybe any tactics that I can try? Or if you can relate, i'd like to hear it...

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Aerobic exercise especially swimming

S

SFGuy

I need daily structure or time just disappears. I get nothing done when I’m unstructured and cluelessly wonder in the evening why nothing was accomplished. Without meds, I’m seriously distractible, too.

With a planned daily schedule + stimulant (Dexedrine) + Guanfacine, I get a shower on time, eat breakfast as planned and take on the day’s tasks. I need all the help I can get to avoid hyper focusing on unimportant things or losing myself to spacing out and fantasy.

I still have work to do to become more productive and feel better about myself, but meds & structure make a huge difference. The other key in my structure is sticking to a sleep schedule strictly. I’ve discovered that I need 9 hours every night, so I get it 5 nights out of 7.

I now avoid stress whenever I can, too. Stress blows up my schedule because I stop caring about it.

S

SFGuy

If you do add structure, you might start with small doses. Maybe breakfast at 8:00 and a shower at 9:00 or noon, depending on what works for you.