• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Addressing the Mental Health Crisis: What Really Matters

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Addressing the Mental Health Crisis:

The second clear association was that of intrinsic versus extrinsic goals endorsed by young people over the past eighty years. For decades, polls have consistently showed that adolescent and young adults of later generations increasingly cite extrinsic factors, such as the pursuit of power, status, money, and image, as the primary reasons for what they did. This contrasted with earlier generations, who more often reported that they were called to particular interests or careers because of intrinsic motivators, such as public good, civic-mindedness, affiliation, and deeper meaning. Although difficult to demonstrate a causal relationship between psychological difficulties and self-centered endeavors, it raises serious questions about whether the me-focused culture may have a lot to do with our psychological crisis.

It was written, “For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (1 Timothy: 10). Almost two thousand years later, C.S. Lewis wrote, “The essential vice, the utmost evil, is pride.” Collectively, it is hard to not wonder whether the combination of the two may be heating the melting pot of our psychological woes of today.

[Rest in Link]

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

You can't deny society has changed and what drives people now is very different to what drove people in previous generations...

I have issues with a couple of things said in this article, not sure if it's causation or correlation - with stuff like physical health being poor, for instance.

But overall, I agree with what's being said.. though I don't like the tone of it. Maybe i'm a bit senstive because I feel that at 25 years old, I might be seen as part of the "me generation". But it seems a bit blame-and-shame-ish. Not that blaming any generation helps.

It's weird that in a 'me-culture', there seems to be very little self-improvement going on.

Oh I could say a lot about this actually, but need to think about making something for dinner so will leave it there for now.