• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Addicted to quetiapine ?

Modelaeroman

Modelaeroman

Hi all,

I am bipolar type 2+rapid cycling and take 150mg venlafaxine and 200mg of quetiapine and recently started on aripriprozole. I have recently started finding myself longing to take my next dose of quetiapine (which I take at night to help me sleep) as Im not sure if it's because I like that feeling you get of not giving a damn as it starts to kick in or it's just that I can't wait to get to sleep and have a few hours relief from my brain going off on another wobble?. I really think I'm starting to get addicted to the quetiapine, I know for sure I can't sleep without it, I used to be able to have forty winks during the day quite easily but I'm totally unable to do that now no matter how tired I get.

Does anyone else feel they are addicted to there meds ? Or us it just me ?

A

Affective

I know some Psychiatric medications such as Diazepam and Lorazepam are addictive. Not sure if Seroquel is.

S

satnin1981

I'm not sure whether it's possible to become addicted to it but I did have that problem before I switched to abilify! I couldn't sleep without seroquel, and I was sort of using it as a sleeping pill, which my psychiatrist took objection to! My problem was that I needed more and more just to be able to sleep - I was up to 750mg before I started the switch to abilify. The funny thing is that now I sleep without it fine, so what was going on whilst I was taking it, I don't know. It felt a lot like dependance, but I don't know if that's the same thing as addiction.

A

Apotheosis

I feel hopelessly dependant on the drug that I was forced to take 12 years ago. :(

megirl

megirl

I believe theres a difference between needing a drug and being addicted to it. I have gone off most my drugs myself however I would have never gotten through the day today without risperidone I gave in and took it and I did feel better for it. I am not addicted however my condition means that I require it. Same as a diabetic may need there insulin they arent addicted to it but would eventually die without it!!
I also normally take (seroquel) quetiapine and like you I cant sleep without it thats bipolar for you

B

Bradders

I've been taking seroquel (quetiapine) for a week now and i know how you feel, i dont think mine is addiction tho more of a routine, if i dont take it the same time everyday it sends me on a mad one.

I am Bipolar 2+Rapid Cycling so i know where your coming from. I have been suffering from this for 10years (Started when i was 16) i have been unmedicated until the last week as it took me 10years to get a diagnosis as my docotor kept saying it was depression. For quite a few years I was suffering from mainly Hypomania but as i've got older i've suffered from both mainly more downs then ups.

N

neena

Hi all,

I am bipolar type 2+rapid cycling and take 150mg venlafaxine and 200mg of quetiapine and recently started on aripriprozole. I have recently started finding myself longing to take my next dose of quetiapine (which I take at night to help me sleep) as Im not sure if it's because I like that feeling you get of not giving a damn as it starts to kick in or it's just that I can't wait to get to sleep and have a few hours relief from my brain going off on another wobble?. I really think I'm starting to get addicted to the quetiapine, I know for sure I can't sleep without it, I used to be able to have forty winks during the day quite easily but I'm totally unable to do that now no matter how tired I get.

Does anyone else feel they are addicted to there meds ? Or us it just me ?
I wondered myself whether I could be addicted to Seroquel also. When I discussed it with my psychiatrist he said there was a HUGE difference between NEEDING a medication and being addicted to it. BTW I take 600 mg of it at night!
neena

Last edited: