Activities with someone in psychosis

L

linus

My son has this full delusional belief that there is a whole system (or even the world) against system and we are trying to figure out what would be the best way to fill our time together. Now we play tennis twice a week and he seems happy about it, we go in the weekend with the car driving towards seaside or mountains, but still there is a time frame to fill in. If police or ambulance shows on or if anything political he hears then the delusions are tiggered more obvious. We try to walk as much as possible and then watch some documentaries which are “neutral”, but anything I would choose still has some “weird” things that makes him think more (although in the last week he stopped talking about it and he claims that he doesn’t want to talk about his thoughts or that he is embarassed as being something intimate).
Anything recommended from some other carers or somebody who webt through such an episode?

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

It seems like for years I just sat at home and stewed in my psychotic misery. Then finally my father in law encouraged me to start helping him volunteer at a charity a few times a week. This got me out of the house and interacting with real people again. My symptoms didn't seem as bad when I was active and out and about. Now I spend more time at the charity helping out in different ways and I am functioning much better in my life.

M

missme

It seems like for years I just sat at home and stewed in my psychotic misery. Then finally my father in law encouraged me to start helping him volunteer at a charity a few times a week. This got me out of the house and interacting with real people again. My symptoms didn't seem as bad when I was active and out and about. Now I spend more time at the charity helping out in different ways and I am functioning much better in my life.
So glad that it has helped you!!!

M

missme

I found while I was suffering psychosis, that being around nature just strolling not exercise helped me. Sensory touch for eg, having a fluffy blanket, different textured things, that was when I was in hospital, lava lamps, soothing music helped me allot. I was also paranoid delusional, and thought the world was against me. Sometimes respite care helped me too but it's all free in my country

L

linus

Since your first episode started, how much time did it take you to question your delusions?

M

missme

Since your first episode started, how much time did it take you to question your delusions?
Unfortunately for me, I had to be hospitalized and stabilised and put on meds before I realised that it was not normal. But once the meds were on board maybe after about 2-3 weeks in the ward, I was then able to realise that my thinking was not real. I didn't realise that I was sick.... But after support from staff at the time, they helped me learn to question myself by saying, is this really reality? If not, let it go like a wave in the ocean, easy to say in words I know!

L

linus

He was hospitalised for 10 days as well and we thought he will stay for at least 2-3 weeks more, but his psychiatrist told us we need to reintegrate him. Unfortunately it didn't work smooth at all, he was suspecting everybody at school and somebody made a joke and scared him really good and he also had a problem with a local police because he was seen smoking. That put him in some panic attacks for 2 days and couldn't sleep well. We went through an increase of the drugs, we started neurofeedback and now for 3 weeks he is way calmer (even with a huge reduction of drugs), but also not caring about anything anymore. Anyway, now we are looking for some volunteering that he can do in the weekend, I think it's about self-esteem as well.

M

missme

I can really understand how much pain you and your spouse are going through, having seen my own parents going through it too
For me, it did get better, and the thing the doctor used to tell my husband, was that remember when she says things, it's the illness not her.
I think your willingness to help is really wonderful, I really do feel for your son .
Have you tried to look up some talks on YouTube? How to support sometime in mental illness or something of the sort? I find youtube a wonderful place and it is a great resource.
I wish you all the very best.

L

linus

Thank you for your kind words, I’ll look on youtube, until now I kept on reading medical studies, guidelines, etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Psychosis Forum 4