Acid reflux caused by perimenopause, anyone heard of this?

F

Fancyharm

I am in the perimenopause stage. I have developed Acid reflux in the last 5 weeks.

Does anyone know if perimenopause brings the acid reflux problem with it?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
We go thru all sorts of changes when at this stage of our lives. I assume you’ve had blood tests done to confirm this. It is common to get acid reflux but you should still mention it is to your gp .
If you are over 40 the gps usually want to check it out. But you can have antacids prescribed which are very successful. I take them every morning.

F

Fancyharm

I have got three lots of prescription meds now. I have been suffering badly for the last 6 weeks. I am being woken up 4 times a night. It is horrendous.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Then definitely you need to go back. I ended up with an endoscopy and was found to have stomache erosion and a haitus hernia . The only problem now is if I have anything gassy or spicy then it repeats on me. I didn’t thing the tablets (omeprazole) were working till I stopped taking them and was in agony after 3 days.

F

Fancyharm

I went back on Monday and they said take the three meds and it will start to work in a week.

vanish

vanish

Wow reading through this thread, I’ve never thought peri menopause and acid reflux goes hand in hand. I’ve been suffering from reflux for about six months and am around that age. Will definitely mention to my gp.

F

Fancyharm

I have noticed a few things since I have been in the perimenopause stage. I think it is all linked. I now have periods at 3 weeks and clotting. So I know I am definitely in the perimenopause stage. For someone who hasn't had heartburn, acid reflux just doesn't seem right for me.