• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Accused of 'doing it for attention'

G

george81

I have been restricting my calorie intake for quite a long time now and I am doing it I think to feel some control in my life and because I feel I don't deserve to eat. I have lost a lot of weight and people keep commenting on it. I was recently again accused of doing it for 'attention' because 'no one pays any attention to me'. This is really hurtful and untrue, in fact it makes me feel so embarrassed when people mention my weight. I wear my coat and big clothes all the time to try and cover up as I hate my body. I weight myself every morning and am happy when I have lost weight and angry and disappointed when I have put weight on. I weigh out all my food and keep a record in a diary. I am on anti depressants and thankfully my doctor hasn't seen my weight loss due to not seeing my doctor in person because of Covid. I feel a need to keep losing weight. It keeps me occupied, I am obsessed with food and recipes and it distracts my mind from everything that is going on. I guess I'm just venting really, I just needed to get it off my chest how much it hurts when people accuse me of attention seeking. I guess some people just have no insight or idea how someone else may be feeling and I can't be angry at them for that but it makes it worse and makes me feel more ashamed and pathetic when they say things like that.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Please ignore insensitive comments. Only you know how you feel and even that is hard to do.

I've been called some nasty names and I have felt like I couldn't cope with life because of it.

Don't let idiots in your life or head.

G

george81

Thank you, Tawny. It really hurts as it just feels so nasty, how can people be so insensitive and lack so much understanding? Do they really have no understanding? it makes me feel even more of an idiot and freak for reacting the way i do to life. i cope the way i cope, its wrong i know but i can't help it. x

S

sab1978

I have been restricting my calorie intake for quite a long time now and I am doing it I think to feel some control in my life and because I feel I don't deserve to eat. I have lost a lot of weight and people keep commenting on it. I was recently again accused of doing it for 'attention' because 'no one pays any attention to me'. This is really hurtful and untrue, in fact it makes me feel so embarrassed when people mention my weight. I wear my coat and big clothes all the time to try and cover up as I hate my body. I weight myself every morning and am happy when I have lost weight and angry and disappointed when I have put weight on. I weigh out all my food and keep a record in a diary. I am on anti depressants and thankfully my doctor hasn't seen my weight loss due to not seeing my doctor in person because of Covid. I feel a need to keep losing weight. It keeps me occupied, I am obsessed with food and recipes and it distracts my mind from everything that is going on. I guess I'm just venting really, I just needed to get it off my chest how much it hurts when people accuse me of attention seeking. I guess some people just have no insight or idea how someone else may be feeling and I can't be angry at them for that but it makes it worse and makes me feel more ashamed and pathetic when they say things like that.
I think a lot of what people call “attention seeking” is actually a cry for help. Do you think your weight loss and calorie restriction is a subconscious cry for help? Maybe people are reacting to that in a sense.

G

george81

I'm not sure really, I self harm and have done so for years but no one would know because I do it in places no one would ever see. If I could restrict calories without anyone seeing it would be so much easier. It's embarrassing when people comment on my weight loss as I would restrict calories regardless of if people could see or not. People can be so mean and cruel and it just makes me more determined to carry on because I feel I deserve it and am worthless and pointless

ipanema

ipanema

You know why people do it? Because their lives are miserable. Have you ever seen a happy person being mean to another for no reason at all? NO. It's always the ones that have nothing interesting going on in their lives, the ones that probably have self-esteem issues and have the need to put other people down just to feel better - so I guess we have the answer of who is seeking for attention here.

Lots of love❤

G

george81

You know why people do it? Because their lives are miserable. Have you ever seen a happy person being mean to another for no reason at all? NO. It's always the ones that have nothing interesting going on in their lives, the ones that probably have self-esteem issues and have the need to put other people down just to feel better - so I guess we have the answer of who is seeking for attention here.

Lots of love❤
:grouphug:Thank you ipanema. I kind of guessed the same myself. These people must have such boring lives that they need to criticize people who are already criticizing themselves and make them feel they are nothing and are worthless. I already feel nothing and am worthless, why just make me feel even more so? I want to disappear. Not draw attention to myself. Hugs to you

P

Purpleplum

Who is accusing you of doing it for attention?

If people who don't matter say that, ignore them. Walk away.
If anyone close to you says that, speak up and speak up loud to them about what is true and don't accept them telling you any less.

G

george81

It's people close to me and also people not close to me. It really hurts. They don;t know the half of what I've done to myself and keep it secret out of sheer embarrassment. I feel humiliated. I feel like everyone hates me and in fact have been told many times people hate me. I feel like a total waste of space. Medication reduces the suicidal ideation but it doesn't sit easy with me because its all I've ever known and to have these thoughts disappear feels like there's nothing left in my brain, it's empty. I have brain fog every day and feel like I'm floating. Big hugs to you all xxx

G

goodgollymiss

You could talk to the health food store about it. They have supplements for cognitive boosting and energy boosting.

G

george81

Hello all and thank you for your kind replies. I am doing better mood wise on medication but now I feel guilty for feeling better considering the bad things I have done to cause the guilt I feel. I feel like I don't deserve to feel better. It;s an ongoing battle. But I appreciate your kindness and thank you all x

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Eating Disorders Forum 13