• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Accupuncture and Accupressure

N

NrLondonGuy

I posted this elsewhere so will keep it brief:

I have had really bad anxiety lately where I have been jittery all day, restless, unable to watch TV read. I have been having hot baths, gym and meditaitn and lorazepam to relax me but still bloody anxious. Anyway in desperation today and to avoid going back on weight inducing medication I tried accupuncture and accupressure at my local chinese medicine shop. I have to say it really did help and this eveing I feel the most chilled I have for weeks (still a bit edgy though). I went in sceptical and all over the place and when I came out I seriously just wanted to lye down in teh shopping centre and go to sleep. (that nice feelign lasted about 30mins but am much more relaxed and calmer this evening.

Anyway it really helped me so Ihave signed up for a 10 session treatment thing. They said that the accupuncture opens the body and tehn the accupressure relaxes it (and your mind) or something. They said in my state I shoudl start with 3 sessions a week, then 2 then 1 and in teh end you can stop altogether or just have 1 session every month and a half to keep it up and that it has long term benefits. Honestly, I was really sceptical and just one session has made a massive differnce.

Like with all things best to get someone who knows what they are doing and yoru local chinese medicaine shop shouls have someone. (every town has one). My nurse said some of his other patients do it also and it really helps them too. Just thought I woudl throw this out there.

T

TOONAFISH

i would really love to try this. my nearest one is 16 miles away and is in a shopping centre too. can you tell me a rough cost?? i dont have much spare cash at the moment, i have recently started a new job, only doing 1 day a week to start with, but i already feel much more anxious. Waking really early and not able to get back to sleep. I would like to nip it in the bud.

x

N

NrLondonGuy

oh - okay. Best think ot try is accupunctuer AND accupressure. Accupuncture opens the body whatever that means and accupressure does what ever that does. DOn't know much about it but put it this way. 3 weeks ago I was all over place, couldn't keep still concnetrate and now after 3 weeks of it I am MUCH mroe relaxed and now confident I may even be able to avoid SSRI. (which I havn;t tried). It really has helped. Accupressure particulry- thats like a specific massage. I feel so relaxed and lovely evertime I go out. Shame its so expensive : (

Its costs £55 a session. They said for it to be affective as with any therpay you shodu ldo a whole ocurse fo it so I paid for 10 sessions and get 3 free. It is helping though., Still anxious but MUCH less. (I mean 3 weeks ago I thought only solution woudl be to go on an SSRI drug).

Talk to them as maybe even once a wekk coudl be better then nothing.

Also I am seeing some guy in London soon and he does accupucnture and uses this thing called a tens machine. He attaches it to your feet and legs and it completely calsm you down no sideffects. A woman I know told me about that. She had a friend who had schizonphrenia and was totally manic after hospitla and nothing coudl calm him down, drugs didn't work nothing. He went to this accupuncurist and he gave him the machien told him how to use it and it totally sedates him - no side effect. Machine costs £25 and furtehr £25 for guy to show you how it works. I will give a try and let you know.

I suffer from bad anxiety and anything that calms you down can't be bad expcially if no sideffects.

Woudl advice you also talk to you GP for any NHS treatment that can help