• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Access to Work - is it REALLY worth it?

Eleison

Eleison

I've applied for taxi, transport help, help with costs, for the rush hour and other really crowded travel times. Due to my illness I can't cope with crowds, and get aggressive panic attacks, which can be really severe.

However. Aside from the fact I now feel a fraud, because I have to get medical evidence of my condition yadda yadda. "I'm not THAT ill, surely?"
"I only have chronic depression with recurrent severe episodes, I'm not 'severely' mentally ill."
"I've put up with things for many years. That's what I learned to do all through school when I was bullied. I just carried on."

[Even though only the other week I had a panic attack where I was screaming, crying and shaking on the tube when I got on the 4th train - the first 3 were too full for me - and then more people got on. Also a man had shouted at me when I begged him to allow me onto the train]
They ask for me to pay a proportion of the costs, what I normally pay for public transport.
However this would make me worse off, since I only need the funding/taxi for 1 or 2 journeys a week, I would still need to buy a monthly travel card. My budget is really stretched as it is, so I don't see how the whole thing can help me at all really.
That's even if they approve my application.

What would you do in my situation?
Is there anything I might be missing in my understanding?

Eleison

Eleison

Yes, it's through the Job Centre.
I'm already in work. Have been for many years.
I'm not on any benefits, and don't qualify for any. I'm in that 'grey' zone of income and illness.

I did email my AtW adviser, and am waiting to hear back.
But if this isn't going to work, there's no point in me making a GP appointment.

I really do feel that they don't see me as worthy and legitimate of the help.

The cost share might only be £4 or so a week extra, but it adds up. And I'm sure travel card costs will go up in January yet again, and my rent in April, and so on and so forth... without my salary increasing to keep up.