• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Accepting drugs aren't enough

S

smellycat

Hi, this is my first post on here but I thought it might be good to speak to people who might actually understand how I am feeling.

Throughout my whole life (I am 27) I always felt like there was a sort of cloud over my head, but I could get through life fine, got grades, got a degree, had friends; but i always slept a lot, needed to have a lot of plans to get out of bed, didn't enjoy things unless i knew there was a reward at the end of it.

I went to the doctors several times during my degree saying I thought i was depressed, to which they said I was borderline and just to think happy thoughts. This year, I broke up with my long-term boyfriend that was severely depressed.

I finally realised after the break up that I had been focusing on his depression as a distraction from my own. I went to the doctors and demanded medication, because I didn't think I just need happy thoughts (as I'd got this far in life as I am). A few weeks after I began the Fluoxetine, I noticed a difference, as if a cloud had been lifted and I thought it was a miracle cure. Three months later however, I've had a breakdown and again it is related to a boy (why, always a boy?!), but it mainly boils down to my extreme need to just HAVE someone there (rather than have a relationship because it works). This makes me think I still have a lot of work to do on myself and my mental state, rather than just taking a pill.

I'm considering some sort of therapy, as I know my negative, sarcastic outlook is not beneficial if i'm to try and be happier. Does anyone have any recommendations of which kind of therapy I should try? I don't have suicidal thoughts, I just have a general depressive nature.

Thanks.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Can I just ask you to clarify - when your doctor said you were "borderline".. did they mean borderline for depression or that you were borderline personality disorder?

Personally speaking, i've actually found counselling to be of more help to me than therapy. However, it really does depend on who the therapist is and their approach to working with a client.

I would give you some advice now that it's really worth meeting with a potential therapist before committing to having sessions with them.

The therapies I have had are;
Art therapy.. Pro - Good if you're not in the mood to articulate yourself. Con - sometimes the sessions didn't go very deep and I found I didn't have much time to actually talk.
Cognitive behavioural therapy.. Pro - It pretty easy to understand. Con - You need a certain amount of motivation to implement what's taught.
Cognitive analytical therapy.. Pro - Possibly helpful if you have past issues of abuse. Con - These past issues will be brought up constantly whether you think it's relevant or not.

I've also had family therapy, but am guessing that's not what you need.
Have also got a lot out of more alternative therapies, but again not entirely sure if that's what you're looking for.

Hope you found some of that useful.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Smellycat and welcome to the forum.

I don't have a lot to add to the good advice already given but just wanted to wish you well. You sound as though you have good insight and some understanding of your problems and this should help as you work towards sorting out your issues.