• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Acceptance of OCD/pure O thoughts?

D

Darby

Hi guys I'm going to be bad and copy and paste the follow from a post from another forum. I would love your thoughts and opinions on this way of overcoming ocd and pure O in particular. Thank you.

"I saw a very interesting thread on another site for OCD sufferers in which someone had posted that they had beaten OCD by welcoming the thoughts instead of trying to resist them. Instead of analysing a thought in depth, and getting concern, the general approach was to accept the thought, or even completely agree with it and say I am what I'm thinking, or to accept the fact you might be what this thought says you are - for then it would become clear how irrational the thought truly was.

This seems a completely different approach to tackling OCD but one that sounds like it'd work - because after a while the OCD would get bored and the initial threat level would go, eventually not existing at all.

Of course its extremely intimidating to think of accepting a thought in that manner and it could not work and make a lot of people feel worse about their thoughts, but I was wondering what other people's opinion on this approach to OCD was? Some people in the thread had posted saying it was actually helping them cope better with and not fear the thoughts the same."

Ok so I saw this thread and wasn't really pleased with the responses it got in the last forum it was posted. I think this method of dealing with OCD though is definitely a great way to greatly reduce your mental stress but I'm unsure if for the long term its a healthy approach. Would it not just intensify the thoughts once you stop accepting them because you would feel you then believed them more? And why should we accept thoughts as real when their obviously not real, is that not giving into the thoughts but would doing that eventually make you feel totally awesome and free form the grasps of OCD and see it for what it is just thoughts? Thanks.

Falling Sky

Falling Sky

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I do think that CBT teaches you to acknowledge and challenge the thoughts by looking for the evidence and then finding the logical explanation for it? so providing that you are not allowing it to dominate your thoughts and you are looking for a resolve - or even have a time limit on how long you are going to acwknowledge it all for, it could work?

I can be obsessive and I feel that when someone addresses this, I am better for it, ignoring it would do my head in xxx

Rowan

Rowan

Interesting, thanks.

I have BPD and I was taught a therapy called DBT which practises "Radical Acceptance" which basically is a positive way of accepting who you are as a person, warts and all.

I think a lot of my OCD rituals stem from a religious upbringing and I try now not to get too stressed about the OCD. In some ways OCD organises my life and makes me calmer so I try not to fight it too much, if that makes sense.

Getting stressed about OCD thoughts make them worse IMO.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I am doing DBT too and what you are describing is like Mindfulness. Its about noticing how your mind wanders (all minds do)and bringing it gently back to a simple job eg making a coffee, writing a letter. So you practise that and then when the thoughts appear, don't repress, just notice them and think, OK that's Ok but I am now drawing my attention back to this thing I am doing.

It will keep annoyingly appearing, but you just acknowledge it and go back to what you are doing.

L

lotusgirl

What sort of response did you get in a previous forum? I mean the advice you've given is extremely useful. In my experience of having OCD I have realised that there are many people who are ill-informed about this disease so maybe that's why you got a less than favourable response :(. I think that accepting the thoughts can be helpful and it doesn't mean you are what you think at all, its just one way of illuminating how irrational and separate from you the thoughts are. It can be exhausting to fight off every thought. We thoughts in their thousands per day so why attach too much meaning to a crazy thought? In fact accepting its presence might be a good way of ultimately conquering it and showing it who is boss. If you fight it in my experience it just comes back powerfully. Someone once told me that "thoughts are just thoughts" and they cannot hurt anyone and I think in this case acceptance theory helps the ocd sufferer to realise that there is no harm in the thought itself and that it says very little about the thinker.

I am sorry that you got not the best response in another forum but I think here people will completely understand how you're feeling and I think its wonderful you posted this.

D

Darby

Hey lostusgirl, really means a lot that you've replied, also thanks to the other replies as well, not got round to checking this topic. I honestly think you should take my advice with a grain of salt if thats the saying, I don't know if that even makes sense. Though basicily I stll suffer from obessive thoughts daily, hourly even and I'm still replying to these thoughts with aruging with them and counter-acting them and all that bad stuff.

I've tried just accepting them and it does work but I don't know, I'm going through quite a bad depressive stage right now so obsessive thoughts tend to be secondarly for me right now. Its just so god damn annoying that we've got to attend to these bloody thoughts all the time, so exhausting.

I'm currently seeing a counsellor trained in CBT and although we're still sort of working on my mood, she has given me a sheet talking about how thearpy normally goes with dealing with thoughs. Its basicily by doing things with the thoughts in your head and not responding to them, easy right? NO, I honestly feel hopeless about the whole thing a lot of the time, like I'm going have these thoughts for a long time.

Hows your current situation with pure O/OCD if thats what you've got, again thanks for the reply. :)

p.s i think the other forum i got like 1 reply

calypso

calypso

Admin
Mindfulness is bloody hard work, I know. But after some months, I am slowly getting a handle on my thoughts. I don't have OCD, but bipolar diagnosis, but thoughts being bloody awful applies in a lot of conditions. Gradually, you can wrestle your mind to obey you. Having depression on top though is exhausting, I understand that. :hug1:

T

Tommm

Hey Darby! I recently read this information actually, maybe about 2 weeks ago or so! I think it works because I'm currently suffering from very mild HOCD and extremely mild POCD and so far its working. By allowing the intruding images stay in my head and just saying yep I love that, I actually end up feeling better. Because in doing so my mind realises how silly the thoughts are. I understand what youre saying about this being bad in the long term, but I think its the only true way of beating OCD. OCD works by having a thought and then trying to deny it or ignore it (compulsions) which actually fuels your obsessions. If you avoid the compulsions, your mind will no longer be anxious about the thoughts and wont think that theyre important. Thus by allowing for the thoughts to stay in your mind and accepting them, your mind does not place any value on them. Not only does this apply for intrusive thoughts however for anything. If youre in an uncomfortable situation, stay in it! Dont run away because that gives your mind the impression that youre afraid of whatever the situation. However if you stay in it, you will come to realise that the situation isnt that worrying. I think that by doing this over the long term you can eliminate your OCD or at least lessen the anxiety. I dont believe OCD is something that goes away over night however goes away over time. So I'll see how I go if I continue using these methods. Anyway, good luck to you! Stay strong!

D

Darby

That is really good advice Tommm, I'm going to begin using your advice and have been doing so already with some interesting results. I can't thank you enough for posting this.