Acceptance commitment therapy

S

Solipsis

Hi there. Ive revently been diagnosed with dysthymia with a occasional severe depressive episodes. For the last few years I've defintely felt that im usually depressed with brief periods of being content. The last few months have been a real struggle, with extreme feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness. Im now on a low dose of luvox and have started seeing a psychologist regularly. The psychologist has me practicing Acceptance Commitment Therapy. There's part of me that can definitely see the value in this but there's also a part of me that thinks its way to esoteric or just not really enough. It's only early days and i know these things take time but a few testimonials would be really great. Therapy is so expensive and im wary of investing too much (emotionally and financially) in something that there doesnt seem to be a lot of research on.

TLDR: does anyone have any experience with Acceptance Commitment Therapy?

Goldiron

Goldiron

I don't know what that is. Im pretty sure someone on this forum knows that but im afraid most of them are asleep right now. Sorry about that.

Kerome

Kerome

I've been in a day care centre where they used to give Acceptance Commitment Therapy (or ACT) to groups, and there were people who found it beneficial. It certainly was popular. I didn't take the course myself though.

With therapy it's always a question of monitoring what you get out of it. A friend of mine does schema therapy and she finds it emotionally heavy going, which is a sign work is being done.