• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Abuse scandal victims are still waiting for psychological help

S

supergreysmoke

Rotherham abuse scandal victims are still waiting for psychological help - Crime - UK - The Independent

Abuse scandal victims are still waiting for psychological help

Girls abused by sex gangs are being denied the psychological help they need to help overcome their trauma because of a lack of resources, according to the author of the report that exposed such abuse in Rotherham.

Professor Alexis Jay said many of the 1,400 children abused over a 16-year period by gangs of largely Asian men in the city have harmed themselves, suffered mental-health problems or developed alcohol or drug addictions.

But the therapeutic services required to help victims are not widely available – as budget cuts create what campaigners claim is a “national crisis” in children’s mental health.

Five months on from the publication of her Rotherham report, Professor Jay said many young people are struggling with guilt and self-loathing and some have even attempted suicide. Children as young as 11 were raped by multiple perpetrators, abducted, trafficked to other English cities, beaten and intimidated.

The report said there had been “blatant” collective failures by council and police leaders.

Speaking to The Yorkshire Post, Professor Jay, a former senior social worker, said: “Many [victims] are filled with guilt and self-loathing and some self-harm or even attempt suicide. Others may be addicted to drink or drugs, as a result of how they were groomed into exploitation and abuse. There are simply not enough resources across the country to give these young victims the type of support and therapeutic help which many of them will need.”

(continued)

A

Alienated

That is so heart breaking and inexcusable, even college inturns can donate some time to talk to them. We live in a world were so many people that only care about themselves, and getting their needs met. That NOBODY get's their needs met. Even by the people that are supposed to be there to help !!

Like when 250 student girls were kidnapped by terrorist, and nobody cared. But a basketball team owner makes a racist comment and the whole Nation lost it's mind here.

Where is Alcoholics Anonymous to help the ones with addictions, and Sex Abuse Survivors, Treatment Centers or even Nurses to volunteer their services ?? That shit makes me sick, and is WORSE than the Animals that did it in the 1st place. :curseyou:

S

supergreysmoke

10% of Psychology graduates are unemployed, 40% in misaligned employment. Must be a massive reservoir of voluntary talent if the system was working properly.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Whist i do think more resources are needed, I dont think they should be able to cut the queue.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
10% of Psychology graduates are unemployed, 40% in misaligned employment. Must be a massive reservoir of voluntary talent if the system was working properly.
you cant get a psychology degree and go off counseling or giving people therapy, you need a lot more training from what i've read.

A

Alienated

Whist i do think more resources are needed, I dont think they should be able to cut the queue.
At least they can get someone to show-up, and show they CARE.
Right now their fears and self loathing is being reinforced and set in stone for the rest of their lives. I know how that feels to have Nobody even show-up, Nobody care. It's even worse ! And what caused the thing to continue for so long in the 1st place.

The whole point of life is do the best you can.

Last edited:
S

supergreysmoke

you cant get a psychology degree and go off counseling or giving people therapy, you need a lot more training from what i've read.
There'll be a shorter time training with a psychology graduate compared with general members of the public, less bias than with those who have say a religious background? or lawyering? or window cleaning?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i've got a psychology degree counsellling qualification would cost particularly the last year where you have to be in therapy yourself and pay for it

Anyway that was when i was in recovery, years of having to prove things for the benefits have taken they're toll

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Services 11