• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Abuse related anxiety and returning to work

Parissa

Parissa

My psychiatrist this morning said that although i have dreadful memories from past abused, the best thing to do is to get back to work as soon as possible. It is a way of distracting. They have talked about PTSD, which i have some features of, and how the best way to deal with that is to get back to work as soon as possible.

I lay in bed this morning with my memories. They tied me to the bed for about an hour. I cringed at other thoughts, a physcial cringe. Regarding abused, i'm also talking about time spent depressed and all the pain associated with that. I've had some dreadful experiences in hospital that left me wracked with anxiety. The psychiatrist knows all of this. Validates all of this. Says to get back to work and try to move on. That is the best cure. Distraction not dwelling. This seems to me like climbing Mount Everest.

What do you think? Have you done the same? Did it help?

:cry:

Love Parissa

Parissa

Parissa

In a pickle and scared. I want to hide in bed. I don't go out often. Sometimes I feel so worried and anxious I still feel depressed. The hospital I worked in has a half time vacancy for me in the New Year if I want it. If ready. I know I have to find the courage. I have to find the courage. It seems a monumental task right now.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think it's really difficult to find a balance..
Sometimes people genuinely can't face work and trying to have a job causes more problems than it solves.
Others do find it a distraction and gives them a sense of self-worth.
How have you felt about working in the past?
I suppose the worst than can happen is that you won't cope and you'll have to go back to not working, and in that sense you have nothing to lose by trying.
However, I can completely understand you're dread and anxiety about the situation. I cannot cope with working at all and admire you for entertaining the thought.
At the end of the day, in spite of what the psychiatrist said, I think only you know what's best for yourself. x

M

Mastiff mom

I agree with Somerset, Parissa. Only you know what you can handle and how it affects you. It sounds like you've gone through some very painful experiences. I'm sorry you are having to deal with it all. Be kind and gentle with yourself-- big hugs.

Parissa

Parissa

That is probably true. Thanks for the advice.

I've usually gone back to work within weeks but this time I've been off six months. I feel like my mood has slumped. They might increase my anti depressant at my next appointment in Jan. I've been crying today and been in and out of bed but that could be memories or depression. I thought I was fine. Maybe it's just a bad day. I've had to have lorazepam as cripling anxiety today. Work I wish. I wish. I don't know today.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I work for an agency as it means when i get too over whelmed I don't have to work but still have a Job :) i work as it is necassary for me to pay my bills but I like the distraction! Supporting others makes me forget how shit everything is on my life. What gets me is I'm more fucked up than some of the service users but they see me as normal. Its definately a feel good job for me but its not everyones cup of tea

Parissa

Parissa

Wildflower that is great to hear. I'm motivated to try and go back to my work soon. I'm fucked up but that doesn't me I can't make a difference through my work.

I think depression is going to come and go at varying degrees of severity. I'm on a rollercoaster. I've gotten through the past few hours. Lorazepam is talking possibly. But I've just eaten and am out of bed. I ate despite no appetite. I've got to think I can do this. My thoughts can get so twisted. I have to build up my hours at work. I can do bank shifts perhaps. (I'm a nurse). There are options.

It could be I'm feeling better as it's the evening. I feel better in the evenings.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nursing is so full in and long hours :( are you on a ward or in the community?

Parissa

Parissa

On a ward at the hospital. I feel daunted at the thought of it right now. I have always been nervous going back but have managed in the past. I just feels daunting today in particular has been a hard one. Maybe tomorrow I will feel more confident.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are they able to cater for small shift at first? I find when I go to work I'm kinda a different me, I go cause I have too although I have changed jobs abit over the last few years as each one became unbearable. I've gone back this last week after a month off sick and I've almost enjoyed the one place, saying that the one place I went was so bad i threatened my new mañager felt like crying and leaving it was so bad but I digress.
Have you considered community nursing as it'd be less intense? Or from my experience it seems that way.